X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry wood Dining Table

Today I bought 40 board feet of very nice 5/4 Cherry for making a dining room table. My plans are to have it 42 inches wide by 72 inches long, or six feet. I think there will be enough material for three 18 inch leaves, making the total extended length at 126 inches, or 10 and a half feet. The grain will run widthwise. I will dress the wood slightly but don't want to take much off the thickness. I want to use good quality hardware for table expansion but don't want to over kill it either. My plan is to put the largest set of hardware that I can cover with the table.

Please, any of you with a project like this in your past, feel free to advise and warn of the possible land mines. Any suggestions will be considered and appreciated.
    Last edited by skocars; 03-12-2010, 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling error

Re: Cherry wood Dining Table

Pretty sure you are way short on wood. 40 BF of 5/4 is 32 linear feet 12" wide. With no waste you will only have enough for 9' of table.
    There tends to be a fair bit of waste with cherry to allow for sap wood (light coloured stuff) removal and to achieve nice grain flow.
    You can even out the colour if you end up with some sap wood streaks by using a cherry gel stain but using only dark heart wood is best.
    Take your time and spend a few $ more on wood, you are making an heirloom

Comment

Maybe it's just me, Skokars, but your calculations don't make sense.
      Perhaps a drawing for us simple-minded folk.
      Personally, I would run the grain length-wise on the table top.

Comment

I would say it some what depends on how you want the leafs to look in the mix, on the grain direction.

back in 1975 I made a trestle table out of 2x6's (much like a pic knick table with out the benches) more based on early American design,

I ran the lumber the long way (cut and glued it to where it was one large piece, then years later when we were going to have a bunch of family over, I took it out to the shop and cut it into and added the extension kit, and made leaves, and the leaf original was one 3 x 3 foot solid chunk, and the grain when the short way across the table,
        well since I was in a hurry (out of time for the dinner was coming up fast), and the lumber of 1975 and the lumber of 1985 was dried differently, about a month later one evening there was this noise and the table leaf had now become three smaller leaves, I took them back out to the shop and trimmed up where they split, and that is the way they are to this day,

so any way, I have the grain running two directions one for the top and one for the leaves,

Good luck with your project, let the lumber acclimate to the area for a few days if at all possible and I hope it is well dried.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The Cherry table is all laid out and 75% of the top was glued up today. it was purchased from a guy who buys and sells and does some cabinet work. He offered to have us look through the entire inventory of 5/4 cherry. It was almost all free of sap wood and was very good quality.

The grain lengthwise or widthwise is a question I wrestled with. I wanted the grain to be close to a match even with the leaves in, but was unfamiliar with tables having the grain go east and west instead of north and south. In conversations I am finding there are quite a few with sideways grain but here is the one that swayed me. I have a good friend who was transferred from the east to the west coast. They bought a cherry dining room table from the Amish. It is a beautiful table. I asked him which way the grain ran and he said north and south. This was from memory. Then he walked by the table and noticed the grain actually went widthwise. That is when I relaxed and accepted the fact that it would be OK to do it that way.

I have a question on expansion hardware. You can buy it online and pay upwards of $400 for the hardware, or you can pay half for the Rockler hardware. Does this job require the extra money? Or is the expensive one a case 0f 0verkill?

Thank you for your thoughts. This is an exciting project for me. I just finished six dining room chairs. These are for our new home in Utah, if and when we sell in NY state.

Comment

Working...
          X