X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Machinists Hand Book

This is fully down loadable, there is a PDF tab off to the side one can down load the entire 709 pages of the book,

American machinists' handbook 1914
    http://books.google.com/books?id=4Q8...age&q=&f=false

because of it age some of the info is not up to date, but a lot is still very usable information, and a lot of good history as well,

where much of the older information I think is still very relevant is that it was mostly all done by hand,(not CNC) and much of the home shop is not that much more than many industrial shops a by gone era,

much info on metal lathes and machine tools,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: American Machinists Hand Book

that google books is turning out to be alot nicer than i thought it would be when i first heard about it.
    i have the 25th edition that i had to buy when i was going to college to be a machinist. so i am finding it interesting looking at this book.
    i also see that book has roughly 700 pages of content, while mine is up too over 2500.

good find

Comment

Before I started my career as a technical illustrator and writer, I was going to night school to become a tool designer. My mother just happened to have a friend with a neighbor who had recently become a widow and she had boxes full of stuff from her late husband who had been a draftsman/ machine designer.

At her request, I went to see what she had and found most of it well beyond what I thought I might ever use. But she told me that if I was to take anything, I had to take it all!. I told her that I appreciated her position, but since I had recently gotten engaged and would soon marry, I didn't think I could afford to buy it all (at that point I had no idea if I could afford any of it, but was hoping she wasn't going to ask much for the handfull of books and instruments that I thought I could use).

Bottom line was that she wanted nothing for any of it... just a home for somebody who would appreciate it!

Over the years, I gifted several of the books, documents, and drawing instrument sets to engineers and draftsman that have befriended me in my career. (In hindsight, I wish that I had kept a couple of the items.) I still have several of these old books though, dating back into the 20's and earlier. It has been so long since I have looked at them, that I don't remembe all the publishing dates and titles, but I do know that I have a 1927 American Automotive Engineers Manual, an very old machinist manual, and various other books from that period.

Every now and then, it's still great to go back and take a look. When I return to Binghamton this week, I'll have to look at a few of these for their titles and dates.

It's interesting to see that something like the 1914 Machinist's Handbook would appear on the Internet, especially for free. It's definitely nice and a bit refreshing in view that almost everything today has a price, but is often considered without value.

Thanks for the link,

CWS

Comment

Some info on this great book and its revisions over time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ts%27_Handbook

Comment

I started out training to be a Machinist in 1967--a long time ago to some. When I was first hired we had machine tools which ran off of a "jack shaft" in the ceiling. Each machine had it's own flat leather belt to power it. We acquired new equipment within the next two years. We converted our huge, older drill press and gear hob over to electric motors probably for nostalgic reasons. I had to learn to cut internal/external threads on a lathe. I worked at a textile mill at the time and we used a lot of stainless steel which didn't help matters, or maybe did. I also had to learn how to cut gears on an old Cincinnati M3 horizontal mill, both spur and helical. If you had asked me in '67 about "CNC" I would have had to make up something for those letters. Later when I was in Technical School for "Machine Tool Technology" I saw equipment which amazed me because it was so automated. I learned what "CNC" meant also. But, sometimes the "old school" still came out in me in later years. The Machinist Handbooks and Machinist Ready Reference's I own are tucked away in my old wooden Gerstner chest. Fond memories of a good lifestyle. David

Comment

Working...
          X