X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300 vs Delta 22-580

I am looking at a Planer and I currently own a TS2424, JP610 and MS1250 so of course I like Ridgid tools, but I have heard alot of impressive things about the new Delta 2 speed planer.. My real question is: Does the slower feed rate make that big of a difference on exotic hardwoods? Or is there anyway I can slow down the feed rate on the TP1300?
    Regards,<BR>James B.

James,

The RIDGID machine is only a single speed, and I will have to get back to you on the feed rate question. We have only recently gotten one of the 2 speed Delta here at our office and I havn't had the time to test it.

Jake

Comment

Jake, Please let me know as soon as you get to spend some time testing the delta. If you have any figured exotics to try a couple of passes through on the slow feed rate of the delta vs the TP1300 I would appreciate it!
      Regards,<BR>James B.

Comment

Workbench just did a review of portable planners in this months edition. They ranked the 12 1/2 delta as best buy, but ranked the 13" best performer. The ridgid also did well in all catagories it was not giving any distinction. If you can afford the 13" delta, get it. I love my ridgid tools, but that delta has caught my eye. I was planning on getting the 13" ridgid the day after Christmas, but that might be changing to the delta 13".

Good Luck,

John

Comment

The 2 speeds accomplish only one thing and that's to do more cuts per inch at the slower speed. This gives a smoother surface. The cutterhead as far as I know is single speed. When the feed rate slows in half it essentially doubles the cuts per inch. You would only do this on the final passses since using it to heave off thickness will dull your blades twice as fast.

Let me just say that you can use a similar technique with your TP1300 planer using the cutter head lock. Use the lock on the final passes and it all but eliminates snipe and I think gives a better surface. But for heaving off wood, its one extra step that takes time so some don't use it.
          - Tim

Comment

James,

I finally had a chance to review that unit. The two speed does offer a smoother finish, but only in the hardest woods, an even then it’s a small difference. Even at the slower speed you still need to sand to finish the stock properly. What I also found is that in hard woods, the direction of the grain made more of a difference in the cut quality than the speed of the plainer. In softer woods like pine the second speed seemed to make little difference.

As far as the other features go, the depth stop is nice since it is infinitely adjustable from 1/8"-6" but there is not preset stops like the RIDGID or the DW.

That said, it is a very nice machine and does do a good job plaining. It seems fairly quiet and cuts well.

Jake

Comment

How is the noise level compared to the TP1300? I know the Dewalt is loud, but haven't heard the Delta run.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Jake, Thanks for testing it out!
                Regards,<BR>James B.

Comment

Working...
                X