Cutting Garolite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Garolite

Anyone out there ever worked with this stuff? I was told it could be cut with a carbide blade on a table saw, but after reading the composition of it (woven-glass-fabric laminate), was wondering if diamond blade would not be preferable. I am surely interested in suggestions.
    If it doesn't fit, you're not using a big enough hammer.

Re: Cutting Garolite

no I have not worked with it, but from you description I would use the carbide blade.

would think it would just glaze over the diamond blade
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD ... will give it a try
      If it doesn't fit, you're not using a big enough hammer.

Comment

Since Garolite is phenolic plastic laminate you might try an 80 tooth
        carbide tipped blade to prevent melting and chipping.

Comment

Just curious, but I can see an good 80 tooth not chipping it but wouldn't the extra friction of more teeth cause more heat build up?
          I ask this because I was trying to make a router table and was trying to drill into Lexan with a forsner bit. It would melt and sieze the bit. So I switched to a spade bit and it stopped melting the plastic but it made a crappy hole lol.

Comment

Squirting water on it as you cut should solve your machining problems with Lexan.

For best results cutting Lexan you need very sharp tools and you need to remove the chips and heat as quickly as possible. You can also use a continuous blast of air as you cut.
            Last edited by tomapple; 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I wa about to go drill finger holes lol

Comment

Working...
              X