X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Granite top question.

I'm looking at buying a new saw to replace my small Craftsman and this R4511 keeps coming up as one the best choices. My concern is the Granite top. Have any of you here on the board had any problems with this top chipping or breaking? I do take very good care of my tools but I also like to use my saw table top as an additional table for glue ups ect.

I have located a used R4511 for $495.00. The owner says it has never cut a piece of wood???

Thanks

Harleyman

Re: R4511 Granite top question.

A couple of things. I have two of the saws, and neither has had any such issues. A great saw.

Secondly, the used one for $495 that hasn't cut wood smacks strongly of someone who bought it on clearance for $299 and is trying to make a buck or two. Ask to see the original receipt. Additionally, you will have no LLSA on the saw, it is only for the original purchaser.

Lastly, recent threads suggest you can get a new one special order for $599.

Comment

I've had mine for about five months, used it for the past three or so. No problems with the top. Dollar for dollar, this is likely one of the best values around.

Note: Late last year Rigid announced they were discontinuing this saw and HD was clearancing the remaining inventory at $299. Before that they had this saw on sale at $499 plus Ridgid offered a Friends and Family discount essentially making this saw on sale for no more than $425.

This model is barely a year old. If the saw the guy is selling is still in the box my guess is he is trying to turn it and make a nice profit.

Rumor has it that Ridgid is bringing the R4511 back. I hope this is true. I thoroughly enjoy using mine. Getting it setup and configured to my liking was a bit of a process, but for a weekend warrior saw it can not be beat.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will hang on for a little longer and see if Ridgid does bring the saw back.

Harleyman

Comment

Originally posted by Harleyman View Post
          Have any of you here on the board had any problems with this top chipping or breaking?
          I'm afraid I did.

When installing my left wing, it developed a stress crack around the middle bolt. I take some responsibility, cause I probably overtightened it. (However, this didn't happen with any of the other 5 wing bolts.) It could have just as easily been the grain of the granite around this particular bolt location.

To Home Depot's credit, they replaced the wing with no questions, or insinuations that it was my fault at all. No charge for the replacement, and they didn't ask for the old one back.

In the interest of full disclosure, while waiting on the new wing, I went ahead and retrofitted my old Delta T-2 fence, and also mixed some epoxy, and worked it down into the crack, to keep it from spreading. The new wing is still in the box under my workbench, I still ain't installed it!

As for using it for a glue surface, I love it. Any spilled glue will pop right off with a razor blade and you'll never know it was there.

Comment

It's a fantastic saw... I paid $450 and thought I got it for a steal. From posts on other forums, other people have recently special ordered the R4511 from Ridgid for $600... Don't know about shipping.

My saw is kept in my garage that about a zillion farm cats have access to ... they are constantly walking on the saw with wet, muddy feet. Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth and its clean and ready to go... a cast iron saw would be a rusty mess by now. Glue ups are one of the things that makes the granite surface such a plus... a quick razor blade swipe and your done. It's perfectly flat, heavy and quite... the Hercu-lift system works great...

Comment

I guess because it is granite you treat it with respect which is as it should be. I used to use my steel table top to straighten tape measure ends and as a work bench or anvil(little bit).

My old saw was a piece of junk and you felt free to beat on it or assemble on it. This is a precision tool and treated as such should have no problems.

There's things you don't want to do with a granite top in a kitchen that would apply, can't remember exactly, lemon juice would stain it or something? If left long enough.
              So no lemon aid production on it. Might be some chemicals to not be spilling on it.

Comment

I'm sure it would crack under the right circumstances but they seem to be pretty tough. I've read very few comments about people having problems, and those that did indicated HD replaced the broken part. Hey, the new ones have the LSA so if you buy it new it's covered. If you buy the used one get the original receipt so you can register it under your name. Good luck, Mike

Comment

Working...
                X