Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Have a Screw Loose (on a latch, OK!?) - Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have a Screw Loose (on a latch, OK!?) - Recommendations?

Several months back I had a new fence and gate put up. For the last few weeks I've noticed the gate hasn't been closing as solidly as it did at the beginning. Lo and behold I see that one of the two screws attaching the bar latch was loose (see the photo I just took below of the screw on the left). I tightened/cinched it down pretty good with a screwdriver but within a day it was loose again. The wood is a medium-grade redwood.

If this is the way to go, can anybody recommend a compound, glue or filler I can put into the hole to cement the screw firmly in place? I am just a layman and don't do woodworking so if somebody knows the exact or specific brand and name of a product easily obtained at most hardware stores, that would be most helpful.

Thank you kindly!

Re: I Have a Screw Loose (on a latch, OK!?) - Recommendations?

Originally posted by MikeVB View Post
    Several months back I had a new fence and gate put up. For the last few weeks I've noticed the gate hasn't been closing as solidly as it did at the beginning. Lo and behold I see that one of the two screws attaching the bar latch was loose (see the photo I just took below of the screw on the left). I tightened/cinched it down pretty good with a screwdriver but within a day it was loose again. The wood is a medium-grade redwood.

If this is the way to go, can anybody recommend a compound, glue or filler I can put into the hole to cement the screw firmly in place? I am just a layman and don't do woodworking so if somebody knows the exact or specific brand and name of a product easily obtained at most hardware stores, that would be most helpful.

Thank you kindly!
    Take out the screw, and squirt some super glue gel in, then screw the screw back in.

You can use any type of Krazy or super glue for this.

Comment

An easy and quick fix would be to remove the screw. Squirt some all weather glue into the hole and fill the hole with tooth picks. Once the glue has setup, reinstall the screw.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanks guys, since this wasn't the usual plastic, ceramic or other standard hard material application, I didn't know if there was any special product that cured or set better with or within wood other than a generic super-glue type product. But if that's all I need, great. Much appreciated.

Comment

A lot of good advice up above, and if none of that does the trick, remove screws, replace with bolts, attach with Nut and Washer from the other side of board.

Comment

Might seem a bit anal but it wouldn't hurt to touch up the coating on the screws after you are sure you have them secured so that weather does not eat them up. Those look to be steel and I bet they won't last too long w/o some paint applied to them. I see some rust forming already.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The problem is obvious in your picture. Take a look at it, it's the front screw holding a latch that gets a lot of up and down pressure. The shape of the screw hole in the latch, as it moves up and down with usage, will automatically unscrew the screw. You can either try to epoxy the screw into the hole or you can pull the latch off and mortise it into the wood, thereby making it impossible to move up and down and unscrew the screw. Take your pick, both should work just fine, although the second will be a permanent fix.

Comment

Working...
              X