Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hewood---already have them----and it is 100% better. Darn it----I keep adding good stuff to my old contractors' saw ----guess that's not the way to get a cabinet saw.
    Dave

Comment

Dave Ferg,

If you were asking about the settings coming out of adjustment during operation, the handwheels have adjusting knobs in the middle of the wheels so you can lock them from moving out of adjustment during whatever settings you are using during a particular sawing operation.Hope this helps even with my apparent lack of proper nomenclature.

Scrambler28
      "Semper Fi"
      "A man who farts in church sits in own pew"

Comment

I too am undecided about the Rigid 3650, but I like the Heculift for potability and the large work surface for cross-cutting cabinet material.
        What is a PAL? Who makes the Sears 22114? I purchased one of these on-line Dec 24 and when I went to pick it up at the store there was none in stock as the said on-line. The sales rep said this happens all the time. I can get the same price of $555 including tax, but I have no mobile base to go with it. Does anyone have any suggestion? I contacted the Hec-u-lift company and they said they don't sell a mobile base. What's up with that? The Sears 22124 to just to expensive for my budget so right now it is either the Sears or the HD. I'm unsure about the Grizzly and the support. Thank you for your help in advance. Keep you powder dry!
        Happy Trails

Comment

papacurtis,
          Sears has mobile base for about $60 that will fit the saw.As a side note, when i bought mine it was the last one they had in stock and when I was talking to the warehouse guys they said people must like these saws because they have loaded up about 10-15 of them the week i bought mine.

scrambler28
          "Semper Fi"

Comment

Papa Curtis----doesn't calling Herc-u-lift and having them tell you they have no mobile bases--tell you something about their customer service?

The Herc- is a nice base, but by no means should be a deciding factor. You can build a mobile base for under $20 and be to the good having a better selection of saws.

I would also advise against a cheaper Sears saw. While their new hybrid is getting great reviews, just remember, that they were selling real junk for years---great they're changing, but it may take time to catch up with the rest of their tools.

I'd say do some looking in your price range---it may require more effort than just popping into a local HD, but it just might be worth it. Griz', Bridgewood, General and Delta and Jet would be what I'd look into.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by papa curtis:
              What is a PAL? Who makes the Sears 22114?
              PALS are a set of alignment hardware intended to aid in the alignment of contractor saw trunnions (which are typically a bit tricky to align). The Sears 22114 won't need them b/c they use a cabinet saw style trunnion system. I don't think the 3650 needs them either b/c there's an aligment system built into the trunnions.

Orion International makes the three new Sears mini cabinet saws and their 6" jointer. Orion was formed about 5 years ago by former Delta/Pentair employees.

FWIW, Grizzly's CS has been great in my experience, and I concur with Ferg's list of saws to research.

Comment

Update on the Craftsman 22114 TS:
                I have had the saw about 2 weeks now and have run it just about every night. everything integral to the saw itself has kept perfect alignment, no adjustments have been needed yet. I still think I must have missed something because everything went together so well that it only took me a couple of hours to have it running. I have heard people on this forum and others talk about the endless hours they have put in assemblying various brands of TS's.
                Now for the bad. I have noticed the rip fence (Craftsman) had started to get hung up and drag a little bit, after all kinds of adjustments I finally noticed that the bolts that hold the polyurethane slides on were protruding past the slide and dragging on the aluminum fence rail. It started to cut a groove in the fence rail. The good news is that it was an easy fix. I just stuck an extra washer under the bolt head to prevent them from screwing in to far and then i ground about an 1/8 of an inch off of the nuts so they were recessed well into the hole. Now the fence works great,(not as good as beis of course)but smooth and solid.

Scrambler28
                "Semper Fi"

Comment

Grizz is a great saw. Put a 40t CMT on mine and have been well pleased. Now that 2005 is here and the new Griz catalog is out they have a left tilt CS to go with its rt tilt 444z brother. The arbor threads stop a good .25 in from the face of the arbor and with the 2hp motor it can turn any 8" stacked dado, no cleanup needed, nice and flat.

Comment

I wish my new 22124 TS went together as smoothly as yours Scrambler28. The splitter assembly wasn't threaded right (Sears is sending me a new one) and the phillips screw to adjust the bevel gauge is so tight I cannot loosen it without it getting stripped . I talked to Sears about this one and the tech said he had the same experience and could not explain why they torqued it on so tight. Hopefully I will finish assembly this weekend and have more to report. Sears' CS has been top notch so far. Very easy to get a hold of someone with great knowledge of the saw.

Comment

I finally got that screw loose. Had to dremel a groove in it and use the biggest flat head screw driver I had. Not fun.... Finished putting together the rest of the saw without any major problems. It was missing some lock washers for the extension table and the fence is really tight. Anyone else with a Beis fence? Is it supposed to be so tight and then break-in or should I readjust it so it slides easier? I put paste wax on it but it barely budges... On a positive note, it cuts smooth as butter!

Comment

Originally posted by Bdog:
                        Anyone else with a Beis fence? Is it supposed to be so tight and then break-in or should I readjust it so it slides easier? I put paste wax on it but it barely budges... On a positive note, it cuts smooth as butter!
                        Readjust it so it slides easier. Mine glides easily. It shouldn't be tight until you lock it down. You'll still want to wax it, but it doesn't sound like wax will solve this.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hewood. I will re-adjust it. Is it difficult to get it square again?

Comment

(stepping in for Hewood) It's a bit of trial and error, since you have to take the fence off to adjust it, but once you get the hang of the effect of turning each screw, shouldn't take that long.
                            Dave

Comment

One other thing. There is some kind of material (looks like phenolic) on the locking mechanism (between metal locking mechanism and tube). Is this supposed to be there. I assumed it is to help wear and tear but maybe it is not supposed to be there. Does everyone else's have this. It is not the clear-white plastic (nylon)tabs

Comment

Working...
                              X