• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decking Boards

Would you mind posting some pics, always looking for new ideas

Comment

Raining today but when the weather clears I will post some.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Hello everyone,
        I have always heard that the bark side should be placed up, and I set out to do just that. I am currently in the middle of building a 27' wide by 16' deep deck from PT. I chose to go with 2"x6"x16' boards for my decking.

I can agree with some other posters-- The wood that is used now to make PT IS made from twigs. I ordered 70 2x6 boards and 3/4 of them had bark on the "appearance" side of the board. I called the lumber company and told them about this and they said they would come out and replace them. The 2nd delivery of boards was not any better. I was at the point of crying last night when the 2nd delivery came that I got online to investigate this a little more and came to this conclusion--USE THE SIDE THAT LOOKS THE BEST. I don't want to deal with cupping, but I also want to enjoy my deck sooner than later. If I keep going back to find perfect boards on the bark side, I'll never get finished. I have attached a pic of one of the boards they sent me that is the bark "appearance" side. I won't use this board and will happily return this to them.

I am using screws and hope that my bark side down boards don't cup. Hopefully I can stagger then so it breaks it up in case they do cup.

I'll let you know how it goes in the end and if I start seeing cupping with my "bark side down" boards.

Later,
        Whipp
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by whipp75 View Post
          I ordered 70 2x6 boards and 3/4 of them had bark on the "appearance" side of the board.
          Did you specify the grade of lumber when you placed the order? Sounds like they sent you #2. You should specify #1 grade for deck boards (as they will show)

Comment

These are #1 boards.

Comment

Wow. Only dimensional lumber I have ever bought that was that rough was graded as #3 or #4. (concrete form lumber)

Comment

Working...
              X