X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height gear slip on R4511 part 2 :(

Okay I can appreciate why no one chimed in on my first post regarding my blade height gear slip problem on my R4511.
    I can’t blame you, I would want to pass on that one myself only it’s my saw and I have to deal with it. EWWH!!
    So after sending a service inquiry email to Ridgid, getting a cold beer, and looking at the exploded view of the trunnion assembly, I got to work.
    Took the rails, fence stuff, wings, and main top off so I could get some light inside and my hands to see what’s up.
    I am hoping tech support can walk me through whatever adjustment needs to be made.
    If I support the arbor lift bracket with my hand while cranking the height wheel, everything moves smoothly up and down. However , I can see that the gear bracket and worm gear are not firmly meshed, so that if I take away support and the weight of the cast iron is on the gear bracket that is barely contacting the worm gear it slips.
    I am not sure what adjustment to make at this point that will cause these to gears to mate better, and hope that it can be done over the phone rather than me having to haul the saw cab into a repair center.
    If I can fix it myself, I’ll post with pics on this problem in case any of you ever run into the same issue.
    Only positive note is that in going through this I can really see how the whole trunnion assembly works, which is more than I really wanted to know, but you never know when that info may be handy.
    Okay I am an optimist and looking for a good side to this crappy problem.
    Bob

Re: Height gear slip on R4511 part 2

I read your initial post and didn't reply as I have not been in there and moved the parts around (so really didn't have any insight to provide). But, I know that someone had posted a similar issue before. I'll have a go at finding the post and out ina link if I do.

Tom

Comment

Spoke to Ridgid Service today and they did not have any suggestions for fixing my problem and suggested taking it to a service center.

Sooo..... will see if I can get any new insight this evening with another look at it, and if I can't find a fix, I'll be on the phone tomorrow calling a few service centers to make sure they can work on it before I haul it there.

Least with the top hardware off it will be easier to transport.

Comment

I saw your original post also, but all I could say to myself was..."Something ain't right there, It's gonna be interesting to see what the problem is."

Sorry I can't help...but I appreciate you posting, especially posting a followup once it's fixed, in case I ever run into it.

Comment

Picture of the Ridgid R4511 blade height adjustment gears.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys for your input and Hawk for the pic that I have gotten all to well familiar with up close and personal.

I went through my problem on the phone with tech service and they say warranty shop repair. After looking last night and not finding any adjustment or eccentric that could fix this, I agree with them.

I possibly could fix it if I didn't have the warranty, and I would probably replace both the worm and the ratchet gear, or have the parts on hand for both. I would start with the ratchet cause that is just a bolt on, where the worm is an assembly that concludes with a through the shaft roll pin holding it in place.

Roll pins can be a pain the drive out, and its going to be easier to avoid voiding warranty, down time, etc. by hauling it in to a service center.

That in itself may prove to be an interesting experience.

Will let you know how it plays out and what they had to do to fix it.
            Bob

Comment

Yes, certainly let us know what the problem actually is/was and what the repair was.

Worrisome that the problem was sudden and can't be adjusted out.

Comment

Took my saw to Roanoke to the Ridgid service center. Actually was not too bad loading the saw into the SUV with all the top hardware removed.

When I got to the service center it was a full bore Ridgid dealer with large service counter, tool display of everything you could think of Ridgid and a big warehouse& service shop in the rear.

I instantly felt better than going to a small mom and pop lawnmower repair place as many seemed when I was trying to locate a nearby center to me.

Very friendly people, and once they saw the problem their assessment was the same as mine, to replace both the top gear and bottom worm or at least have them on hand. Top gear would definitely be an easy task as it just bolts on.

As to the why the gears are not meshing I guess I will find out when I go to pick up the saw. They told me latter part of next week should do it.

So wait and see, but I will be glad to have the saw back and re assembled. Shop looks kina empty without it.

Comment

Glad to hear you have a full service RIDGID center in your area. I would be lost without my table say. I guess I could rip 8x4 3/4 sheets of plywood with a handsaw...but I would rather not : )

Comment

Originally posted by Millipede View Post
                    Glad to hear you have a full service RIDGID center in your area. I would be lost without my table say. I guess I could rip 8x4 3/4 sheets of plywood with a handsaw...but I would rather not : )
                    Millipede- agreed, without the TS its like everything has come to a complete halt. While there are some things I can do in the shop, most involve some ripping and even though I could use the router or circular saw in a pinch there is not a lot of motivation at this point.

If it ends up that its going to take awhile at the service center then yeah I'll have to work around one of my main go to tools in the shop.

Comment

Ridgid service called me this afternoon, and they have my saw repaired!!

They replaced both the worm gear and the arbor height bracket gear or whatever its technically called.

However, it was the arbor height gear that was completely worn out so that it was concave instead of straight cut all the way across the face of the gear.

From the sound of that you would think that maybe I use the saw a ton raising and lowering the blade, beveling whatever, but that's not the case.

In actuality I rarely have to change blade height as most of what I cut is in the 3/4 to 1 inch range, unless I have to rip a piece of dimensional construction lumber which is seldom.

So I can only guess that either the bracket gear was soft metal and the worm ate it up, it was installed out of alignment in the first place, or a combination of the two, though you would think there would be binding issues if it had been out of alignment.

Who knows, the motor and pulley exert a lot of force on that gear bracket and if the metal cannot take the strain it could possibly cause the worm gear to wear out the cast metal gear bracket.

Anyway, I will be glad to get the saw back tomorrow and get it put together and in service again.

I am also impressed with the rapid repair by the Ridgid service center.

Comment

Cato - congrats on getting your saw fixed! I must add, however, that as a soon to be owner of a new R4511, I wonder... . Only time (and luck!) will tell! Jim

Comment

Oh crap. Hopefully it was an alignment issue. If it was a "soft" part there is going to be a bunch of us have the same damned problem. Yours was in the recall bunch wasn't it?

Comment

Tomapple- Most people have had their saw longer than I have had this one, so it's hopefully an alignment type issue.

My orginal saw was in the recall, and HD picked it up and brought me a newer one.

This saw I got last September and it has seen little use, so I don't think I wore out anything. Either a bad defective part or an assembly issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X