X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF 2hp dust collector ?

A couple of questions for owners of the Harbor Freight 2hp dust collection system (currently being offered @ $139.00). Is the motor infact a dedicated 120V motor, or is it a 120/240V that comes prewired for 120V use. Is anyone using a 120V remote starter with this system, I would imagine that on startup a 2hp 120V motor has to be drawing some pretty serious amperes and all the 110V remotes Iv'e seen are only rated for a maximum of 1-1/2 hp.

Thanks, millman

Re: HF 2hp dust collector ?

Same question - what is the rated amperage draw on this DC in both 120 and 240 volt mode? I am going to have to add a DC to the shop, but want to "balance" my available current, hopefully without rewiring.

Thanx Jim

Comment

No, it is not a 110/220 motor, like most of the RIDGID tools. It is 110 only. That said, I haven't actually taken the cover off the wiring connections as I have enough 110 capacity available.

I bought the HF remote switch, which was rated at 1200W, and thought I might be OK with the 1500W of the dust collector. I wasn't surprised when it blew..

I believe the unit requires a 15A circuit, but I don't know the startup current. I originally thought it required a 5-20R circuit, but the cord has a 5-15P plug on it. Suffice to say the current draw is greater than the above remote could handle. I don't have a means of measuring the startup current, my meter runs out of steam at 10A.

All of the above leads me to conclude that it requires a dedicated 15A 110 circuit or a 20A with some other small loads. No 220 options.

Comment

Roadster280 - thanx for the info. Does your DC actually OPERATE OK on a 120v,15 amp circuit? If so, then I will be ok.

Thanx Jim

Comment

I'm glad you guys are getting DC units and that's a really good price.

I looked up the HF specs and it says it's 120V 20amp peak, which I take to be start up surge just like our TS and other equipment normally goes through before settling down to running mode.

So you may want to consider a 120V 20 amp circuit or higher so as not to blow a breaker on start up.

I have a 120v Penn State 1.5hp 1250 CFM that I run on a 20amp circuit and its running load per their specs is at 11amps so it should have a bit higher peak on start.

Comment

Originally posted by jfin View Post
            Roadster280 - thanx for the info. Does your DC actually OPERATE OK on a 120v,15 amp circuit? If so, then I will be ok.

Thanx Jim
            Yes, it works just fine. I'm just in the process of pimping it out with some upgrades. I'll post them up in a week or so.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have my HF DC on one 20 amp line by itself, saw/jointer/planer etc. on one 20 amp line, rest of the garage on 15 amps, DC is on a 12 foot extension cord for mobility, no problems at all with DC. Pat

Comment

So basically, you run a dust collecting duct from your R4511 to the DC unit and that's it? is it that simple?

Comment

Checked HF looks like the new sale price is 179. Anyone know where to get some good HF coupons?

Comment

Go to the HF website - they post coupons on line and you can sign up for email alerts. Just print the coupon. But, HF "flips" prices up and down faster than...... Well, FAST, so if you hear of a deal (like the $139 DC), it wouln't be around for long! I'm waiting for my local store to get the $179 ones in as I write! Jim

Comment

Millipede, in the March 2010 issue of WOOD Magazine there is a HF ad with a coupon for the DC at the $139.99 price. The coupon is good until May 16, 2010. In the ad, there is also a 20% off coupon but I don't believe that you can use both coupons for the DC as the price of the DC is not called a sale price but rather a "Super Coupon".

EDIT: I just checked the new May 2010 issue of WOOD and it also has a HF ad in it with a coupon for the DC. This coupon however doesn't expire until July 23, 2010.
                      Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'll also add that my HF didn't have it on sale, but they didn't flinch at honoring the 139 supercoupon that I found on the web (through a previous thread on this board) and printed out. I think it was from the online version of Wood magazine so I didn't even have to pay for the magazine to get the coupon. As BadgerDave suggested they wouldn't let me combine it with the 20% off coupon, but at 139, I wasn't complaining. I used the 20% off on the hose kit.

Also they said they would honor prices from their website even if the store didn't have the same price.

Finally I'll add that mine works well, but I did cut the hose down as I didn't think it was as powerful as ideally I would have liked, so I didn't want to run 8' of meandering hose. Because of this I'm not sure how well it would work as a 2 stage dust collector or simultaneously attached to multiple units, but for the price I'll take the trade off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                          So basically, you run a dust collecting duct from your R4511 to the DC unit and that's it? is it that simple?
                          Hawk not sure who are directing this question at, but I move my DC from one machine to another as needed. Pat

Comment

Originally posted by PMR413 View Post
                            Hawk not sure who are directing this question at, but I move my DC from one machine to another as needed. Pat
                            Pat, thanks for the reply. Ever since I got my R4511 set up, I have been doing small and simple woodworking projects here and there, and I have noticed how much dust settles on my workbench, other tools, and on practically every surface in my shop (aka garage) after every project. So I find myself spending alot of time dusting and cleaning after I use my TS. The HF unit looks like a very affordable solution to my dust problem. Only question I have is, do I just run a hose from my TS to the DC unit and I'm good to go?

Thanks

Comment

You can find the 20% coupons in Wood magazine and American Woodworker at a minimum. Here in Albany, NY, HF has been including flyers in the Sunday paper for the last few weeks as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X