X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right tilt or left tilt?

What are the advantages or disadvanages of right tilt vs left tilt baldes?

Thanks
    Harleyman

Re: Right tilt or left tilt?

As I see it, it all depends on what side of the blade you "mostly" tend to have your fence. The idea is that it's better if you don't capture the wood between the table, fence and the tiltd blade. Also, it's better to have the teeth leaning away from the fence so that theres more room for push sticks (or *gasp* fingers if you're like me.... 35 years of woodworking and and yes I can still count to 10).

I tend to keep the fence on the right side of the blade most of the time, so I like a left tilt. I used to have a right tilter... this one feels a lot safer for my way of using the saw.

Comment

There are pros and cons to both, and it really boils down to a matter of preference.

Right tilt bevels toward the fence on a standard bevel cut, which isn’t as safe as if it beveled away from the fence. You can move the fence to the left of the blade for safer bevel cuts, but that makes it a non-standard operation, which is still not as safe as a bevel cut on a left tilt saw. Left tilt bevels away from the fence in a standard operation with the fence on the right of the blade, which is considered safer, but blade thickness changes skew the zero reference on the tape measure because the blade registers to the flange on the left side of the blade….this can be compensated for by recalibrating the cursor, using shims as spacers, and just measuring by hand. Blade thickness changes make no difference with a right tilt saw because the blade registers against the flange on the right edge of the blade.

The arbor nut on a right tilt saw gets applied from the left side of the blade and uses a reverse thread orientation, which is typically done with your left hand. The arbor nut on a left tilt saw goes on from the right side (easy for right handers) and uses a normal thread orientation.

I’ve owned both and prefer left tilt, mainly due to the arbor nut aspect.

Comment

I've had both also and prefer the left tilt.

Red
        Red

Comment

If you are right-handed a left tilt is desirable to most because of safety as a result of the position of the rip fence and the ease of changing blades. For lefties the opposite is true.

Comment

Yup, what the other fellas said.

Big G

Comment

Working...
            X