Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed HD has changed in Greenvill, SC.
    Reason, 2 more stores opened here.
    Good employees split up between stores.
    I am glad we have HD, I am equally glad we have a very good woodworking tool store and a good lumber store. HD has few specilty tools for woodworking and the lumber in poor.

Comment

Jerry,

You are lucky to have Woodcraft near you. I have good access to Highland Hardware which helps also. Wish I were closer, I hear Woodcraft is a good store.

My expectations were at one time higher for HD because that was the image that HD presented. Over time, those expectations have been lowered due to their performance.

You're question about getting to know the reps. I assume you mean the HD associates, not the Ridgid reps. I do know the ones who are more knowledgeable but I never know who will be in the store when I go.

HD promotes that they are THE place to go for serious DIY'ers, not just for repairs. They sale us on the idea that their people have expertise beyond the everyday store clerk. I think the expectations of those who are disappointed are where they are for a reason. I am only asking HD to deliver on the promise they made, not on any self imposed expectations I placed on them. I just have a hard time letting them off the hook when their mission statement tells me one thing and the shopping expericence tells me another.

Maybe we should think about winding this one up. I'm sure there are many stories, good and bad but I also agree with Tim about the dead horse syndrom (unless anyone out there has fiured out a new way to ride a dead horse. )

Thanks for all the input.
      Wood Dog

Comment

Guess I will jump in here and defend HD...I live in a small town with only one home depot and the nearest 50 miles away. I am in HD at least 3 or 4 times a week. Some of the Associates even call me by my name now. Not sure what they call me after I leave because I am always asking questions and looking for advice.

Perhaps its because I live in a small town that the Associates seem like such good experienced people to me. They all know I am disabled and when I buy a big tool the Associate that loads it on the cart waits by the register and when its paid for takes it right out and loads it in my truck.

The store is always clean and everything in order. I almost always see one one or two employees walking around pushing a broom and cleaning up aisles. The Ridgid display is excellent with every tool out where it can be seen and they have never been out of anything I went in to get.

I am very loyal to Ridgid and HD and until they give me reason to change its my kind of place....was thinking about painting the outside of my shop HD orange but the wife says thats too much loyalty so I guess I will do a wall inside and have it also match my Ridgid tools.
        Goldenwing

Comment

Great story Goldenwing!

It's nice to hear that some of them are still getting it right.

I'd rather hear and be able to share those kind of experiences also. Sometimes though, criticism, when fair and balanced, can help a store or even a company strive to do better and ulimately improve it's service, it's image, and its business.

Wood Dog

Comment

Jake, Do you pass this kind of information on to Home Depot ? I would think that they would have someone to "stay on top" of the net fourms and guide the stores in question to better understand how the customer base thinks. Yes I do shop at differeant HD stores, depending upon why, where we are out and about. It is a 35 minute drive to the nearest HD and over an hour to others. My favoriate is 45 / 50 minutes as there they do have very knowledgable staff. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Evey time I'm at HD the sale people have there head up there... well you know the rest.When I got my ts 2424 one year ago. It took an hour to get someone with a fork lift to get the saw down. Way took long to wait.
              Andy B.

Comment

More $.02. I have three HD's and two Lowes within thirty minutes of my home. The service seems to depend on the age of the store. New store=good service. Older store=less service. HD's hiring practices are like their service, you never know which direction is the correct one. I use one HD a lot, since it is the closest. That is where I bought my TS2424. There were two boxes on a shelf about two feet off the floor. The top box was taped up after being opened. My son and I got the bottom box, since I have heard too many stories about opened and taped boxes. I brought him along, since I was fairly sure I would have a hard time getting help. I have had fairly good service at this store, but the other two haven't been nearly as accomodating.
                Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Docdick:
                  Jake, Do you pass this kind of information on to Home Depot ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When ever possible I pass this info on to the appropriate people above me, who then pass it on to their counterparts at HD. If it is note on a bad store display, that info is also sent to our rep group who services the displays.

Jake

Comment

Even more $0.02. I have 3 HD close by, New Rochelle, NY, Yonkers, NY and Portchester, NY.
                    The store in Portchester is the cleanest and
                    most organized out of the 3, I think it's
                    because it's the smallest of the three, and does the least amount of buisiness. The other 2 are open 24 hours, and do a tremendous amount of buisiness. It's more than they can handle I guess.
                    BTW, Sunday, I went to the New Rochelle store and bought a JP0610. Took me about
                    2 hours to unpack and put it together.
                    I could not beleive the quality of the cuts. The wood goes past those blades and comes
                    off as smooth as a baby's ***!
                    If you don't have one, go get one NOW!
                    JP

Comment

Though I am not the present owner of any rigid tools, shop vac doesn't count, I have been looking at the planer and table saw over the last while. I was convinced to purchase them both tonight, the planer because of its rave reviews was a no brainer and the table saw, because biesemyer is now marketing an after market fence for the saw. I was very excited about doing this because I was going to build an extension wing to the right that would let me rip sheet goods, I was going to build a router station at that end and of course it wouldn't be complete with out a good out feed table. I am not sure, but I think that the motor on both versions of the 1.5 hp motor is the same, thus no need to buy the more expensive one if the only differences are the base and extension wings. Anyway, I went to my local Home Depot here in Orange County, CA only to have several employees tell me that at least the CA Home Depots will no longer be carrying the Powertool line of Rigid. Is this fact or fiction. I enjoy working on projects for my home such as furniture, cribs and other stuff but it is not my livlihood. I don't mind spending the money on tools, but I want longevity! I figured if Rigid is willing to put a lifetime warranty on its product, it will probably be worth buying, however, if Homedepot is no longer going to carry Rigid, that raises a flag with me. Does anyone have any words of encouragement or advice that may help in my decision?

Thanks, Brian

Comment

That is very incorrect, while certain stores in your area may not carry certain lower volume tools (i.e. the band saw or the wood lathe); they are by no means dropping the whole line. If they do not have a particular model available, ask an associate to check other stores in the area, if that does not work ask them the special order the tool, finally if you cannot get anyone to help you, call 1-800-4RIDGID or email me and we will contact our rep in the area and make sure we find a unit for you.

Jake

Comment

Weighing in from the Ryobi forum.

I agree with the earlier comment about HD getting too big. I have 4 HDs near me in the DC area and it is also hit or miss. Woodworking is a hobby but I have been heavily involved in remodeling over the past 2-1/2 yrs and can relate many instances where associates did not know what products were available in their stores or what they were used for. I'm talking about common construction items here -- nothing special.

HD once said they initially modeled themselves after Hechinger's. One of the original big box stores, Hechinger's lost sight of customer service and is now a member of the business graveyard. Bigger is not always better.

HD isn't the only one with increasing service problems. How many of us have similar problems at department stores, restaurants (esp. fast food), etc.? Forums such as this one help us to blow off steam but I wonder what would happen if each of us wrote HD (locally and corporate) to express our displeasure?

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Terry

Comment

Terry wrote:

"Forums such as this one help us to blow off steam but I wonder what would happen if each of us wrote HD (locally and corporate) to express our displeasure?"

Did that today (corporate e-mail). I will let everyone know when I get a response.

Wood Dog

Comment

Jake---FYI, I can certainly understand part of the origins of the "no Rigid in California HD's". The Rohnert Park HD dropped the price on the lathe and it's now gone. Stationary tool display now a dark alcove, hemmed in by front-end displays. New Windsor store hardly has any of the Rigid tools save the planer, oss, and ts's.

Wood Dog---tried e-mailing them once, on another problem. Never heard a word back. Apparently, we're not in enough of an economic recession yet, for them to get worried about unhappy customers. Hey, it's all changing.
                              Dave

Comment

My local HD has only the TS2424, DP1500, and CMS on display. They used to have everything out to look at. They have also dropped any sort of serious (1.75+ hp)routers. I guess I'll get my next one elsewhere !

Comment

Working...
                                X