X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mdf question

I am making a combination router table, clamping table. Its going to be about 34 x 34. Since its going to be so big, I want to put drawers in. I am planning on putting panels vertically to seperate the compartments and to help support the table. Which would be a better choice, plywood or mdf?
    Thanks

Re: mdf question

Either would work but if you're planning on installing drawer slides plywood will hold screws better.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would go plywood. MDF, while very stable, is also extremely heavy and it doesn't hold screws well. It also tends to swell when glued so assembly might be tricky if precision is key. Good, high-quality plywood is going to give you a better bang for the buck IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

I made my router table from 3/4 inch MDF about 4 years ago. It's roughly the same size as yours. I made the top of two sheets of MDF glued together, giving me a 1-1/2 inch top. I put a horizontal divider about half way between the bottom shelf and the top for rigidity. for the drawers I used bottom mounted slide. I made the drawers of 3/4 inch MDF although I am sure I could have used 1/2 inch. I alsom made a couple of infeed/outfeed tables with drawers in them to use as combination cabinets and infeed tables. MDF is easy to work with and makes edge work simple.
          I haven't had any trouble with screws pulling out. I pre-drilled the holes using brad point bits and then glue. I put crazy wheel casters on all four sides, which was a mistake. Nexxt time I'll only use 2 and forget the wheel locks.

I think that the only downside to MDF is its deflection. Unsupported MDF shelves are a recipe for failure.

Bill
          Good Luck.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X