X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID DC4-1 Dust Collector meets Trashcan

I thought I'd share some photos of my duct collector. Basically it's a RIDGID DC4-1, with several mods, connected to a Thien-design separator. Or, as I refer to it, a pimped-out trashcan

It works beyond my expectations, barely any dust now gets to the bag. Some features:

Shortened 5" pipe between the blower and bag assy
    Smooth walled pipe between the blower and bag assy
    Thien Separator
    Polished surfaces in the separator
    Raised trashcan to make it easy to empty - the bag was a pain.
    Weatherstrip around the circumference of the lid - perfect seal

Next up will be either a Wynn filter (the skinny one, bigger surface area), or possibly just exterior vent, the Thien works so well.

Hope you enjoy:
    Attached Files

Re: RIDGID DC4-1 Dust Collector meets Trashcan

very nicely done. i use a thien separator and find it extremely effective. and a ridgid DC? how old id that unit. i googled it and nothing even remotely resembling it came back.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanx VERY MUCH for the photos. As soon as HF gets my DC in the store, I'm going to be setting up a DC system. This is PERFECT timing ! Thanx again! Jim

Comment

Great job Roadster! Iv'e got something similar in mind for my HF collector. I think this is the most effective way to setup a home DC system for the least amount of money. Putting the pre-separator (trash can) before the blower will pretty much insure that chunks of wood, screws, or whatever else may find it's way into the dust collector wont be going through the impeller on the blower. The Wynn filter will also be an excellent upgrade to your system. My plans are to wall mount the blower and bag ring horizontally as you did with a 55 gal Thein separator below the blower, also adding the Wynn poly blend filter and a remote control box that I just fabricated to handle the 20 amp motor. Good luck with your system and again NICE JOB.

millman

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          very nicely done. i use a thien separator and find it extremely effective. and a ridgid DC? how old id that unit. i googled it and nothing even remotely resembling it came back.
          Check the date and model number. OK, it's past noon, traditional time to stop with the jokes.

I fess up, it's a Harbor Freight and a couple cans of Krylon

As great as the setup is now, that Krylon was a nightmare to spray over the green original hammered finish. It primed up OK, but the finish coats were too thin.

Comment

Well, we have been April Fooled!
            Thanks for sharing your project with us none the less.

BTW, did you also apply the RIDGID logo to the upper filter bag?

Comment

Yes, it was a simple exercise with a knife and some card to make a spray stencil. Any of the RIDGID manuals have the logo in pdf format, which scales up without degradation.

If only the body had been as simple as the bag!

Comment

Roadster- nice job all the way. I like the shortening of the piping you did on the impeller blower sections.

I lost some suction when I mounted my Woodcraft trashcan separator, and adding additional hose section between impeller section and trashcan.

It still works well just not quite as well as strong a suction as before.

Comment

i really fell for that one! BTW, that's a really nic job on the DC...had me completely fooled. gotta start watching those posts on 4/1. good fun, tho.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

LOL you got me too ,
                    my first question was... "Ridgid has a dust collector" ?! ??

then as I scrolled down I saw youve built a phil Thien separator.
                    nice job ! I havent looked at that site recently,, have you posted
                    pictures of it over there !

mines only in a 5gal bucket being sucked by a ridgid shop vac.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X