X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection

I'm having a hard time finding a way to connect a 4" (3-7/8 i.d.) dust chute to an adapter that reduces to a 2-1/4 " (2-3/16 o.d.) shop vac hose. I'm also looking for a good heating system for my shop that dosen't cost an arm and a leg to run. Any ideas

Re: Dust collection

Bought an adapter at the local menards for $4.99. It's exactly the same size 4", so I duct tape the two pieces together. Not fancy but it works...

Comment

I bought item# 89195 from Rockler (4.99). Worked with my old Genie and newer Ridgid vacs.
      SCBOB

Comment

Dave, I used a universal adapter from Woodcraft and it may have that size in a male connector which goes to a 2.5 inch female which is then easy to hook into a 4 inch DC line.

Comment

If you are planning on using a shop vac to perform DC duties via a 4" reduced down to 2 1/2 inch, you will be disappointed. DC is about moving significant volumes of air.

Most of the chips will end up piling up inside the saw cabinet and the fine particles are just going to escape and go everywhere.

Not trying to discourage you. Just telling you how it is.

If you want to know more about DC, I would be happy to point you in the right direction and provide you with info regarding my setup and its effectiveness. DC can be done relatively cheap.

Comment

regharding heat, i did something very crude, but it seems to be rather effective. i use one of these tank top heaters that i got on clearance @ HD for $20:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=23

about 2' above it, i've hung a cheap 20" box fan so it blows the warm air throughout my one car uninsulated, low ceiling garage/shop. with a warm coat and insulated shoes, it gets the job done for minimal expense. not ideal, but effective for when i'm out there.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I will second the Mr. Heat. I use this in my shop as well and does a great job in a 10X20 size shop. Almost to much heat. I use about a tank a week during the winter in Arizona. During the summer i dont use any.....
              Power tools and accessories for man cave $5000. Wood to make things $1400. Ending up making a single cutting board for a gift…….Priceless

Comment

My bad, I didn't read the first post well enough to realize Dave is connecting to a shop vac.

Dave,I started off with a shop vac as well, but filters would get clogged and it just does not pull enough to efficiently work. Its really a short term workaround until you can get a dedicated DC.

As Spiff and others here will point out it really really makes a big difference.

Comment

Dave - If a shop vac is the extent of your DC system I would suggest you focus on capturing the fines being ejected on the top side of the saw. Either modify the existing blade guard or invest in an aftermarket blade guard that has a 2 1/2" shop vac hookup.

I use a single stage DC unit for the cabinet but nothing on the top side. Yet. I have a Shark Guard on order and I will hook my shop vac up to that. I get a lot of fines kicked out of the top of the saw.

Comment

If you still want to try connecting the shop vac to the 4-inch port, Rockler sells a reducing adapter that may work. You have to use a short length of 4" hose (Rockler also sells a short length of hose) with a couple of hose clamps to connect the saw's port to the reducer. I have a Ridgid vac and the 2 1/4" hose fits directly to the adapter just fine, no tape required.

Comment

Working...
                    X