X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working With Plywood

I have this great idea (lol) of making a few of my favorite items out of hardwood plywood since some of my projects need wider pieces of wood. I find it funny how sometimes when we search the information network how it seems we can get almost too much data. I searched for a meterial to cover up the edges of plywood, and listed below is what I think are 4 different names for the same item.

1. Edge Banding
    2. Wood Veneer Edge Banding
    3. Wood Veneer Tape
    4. Edge Tape

Please correct me if I am wrong in thinking these names all apply to the same material. Have any of you folks had much experience covering the edges of plywood? Of course some of you have. Where do you find the best quality of material for the job? Will the tape go over a plywood edge that has been routered? And last, but definitely not least, will I need to buy a laminate trimmer for cleaning up the edges of excess material, or will the trusty old razor blade trick work? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. It truly is appreciated. Murray
    Goldenwing

There are a few different types of edge banding, there is the real wood veneer (thin wood with or without glue applied), there is plastic tape with a picture of wood grain printed on it (don't like that stuff) then there is real wood edging that you can make yourself and bond to the edge of the plywood (my favorite).
    The preglued (hot melt glue) real wood veneer I usually just source from HD in 50 or 100 foot rolls and it applies nicely with a hot cloths iron (avoid a fight and win brownie points - go by the wife a new iron {not as an occasion present} then you can use the old one without fear of having glue on the wife's new $50 blowse)
    You will not have much luck convincing the preglued veneer to stick to a rounded (routered) edge and you may find that the precut veneer is not wide enough depending on how large the roundover is. For edge work that requires shapeing I like to add a strip of real wood to the plywood (3/4" square will do) then you can route any shape you like. The other benifit is that the edge will be far more durable (necessary for table edges) and you can make the top look thicker than it is by adding a thicker edge. If you laminate 2 pieces of 3/4 thick wood together then apply them level with the top edge of the plywood the top will appear to be 1 1/2" thick

Comment

Real wood veneer is definitely what I want. However, I might be stuck buying from Home Depot what I need. I suspect if I wanted to make my own I would probably need a bandsaw, a tool I don't have yet. Could always go buy one though. On the routering, I just wasnt sure if once it was glued down it would stay if I came back and ran the router over it then. Obviously it will be ok. Thank you very very much. You answered all my questions. Now a trip to HD to see if I can find the wood veneer. Last time I was in there I asked one of the girls where it was and she said they did not carry it. Just got to find it now. Again, thanks much. Murray
      Goldenwing

Comment

Banding is "OK", but if the edge in question is likely to get a lot of wear (like the front edge of a table, desk, etc. I'd go with solid wood. The hot melt glue in banding will never hold up as well as good old yellow carpenters' glue. Wish I could remember the mag' but within the last couple of months, there was an excellent article on alternative edging methods----some designed to add strength to the plywood over a wide span.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. Primarily what I want to use the plywood for is some cradles that I build. Depending on if it is a doll cradle or a family cradle for someone that is going to put their baby into will determine how much plywood I use. The doll cradles I am sure will get lots of wear and use so I do think real wood veneer put down then routing the edges will be the way to go. I definitely feel real wood is best. Never did like taping anything up. I want it to last when I put it on there. Thanks. Murray
          Goldenwing

Comment

http://cutlistplus.com/default.aspx I don't work for them, but it is good softwear for working with ply wood and solid lumber.
            Andy B.

Comment

When I work w/ birch plywood for projects, I usually buy a 6 in x 10 feet of pine (cheap). I set my blade to rip the pine into 1/8" strips used for banding. The color matches very well and it is better than the iron-on 50' roll of edge banding.

Here are some stuff I have built using this technique.
              chnaging table

Wardrobe

Comment

jip: Nice looking projects. Like the way the edges accent the rest of the project.

Woodrat

Comment

Working...
                X