Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing 3612 Rip Capacity -- Is it Possible?

I'm a recent owner of a 3612, and I have a project which requires me to make repeatable cuts on plywood sheets of various sizes. For example, I'll have eight plywood sheets varying from 48" long down to 43" long, and I need to get eight consistent 40"-long sheets from them. To do this, I assume I'll need to more rip/cross-cutting capacity to the right of the blade. Otherwise, I have to try and balance 40" or more to the left of the blade and reset the fence each time, sometimes for as little as 3". If I had a full 48 to the right of the blade, I could just set the fence once at 40" and not worry how much is cut off the left.

Does anyone know a way to increase the cut capacity of the 3612 up to 48" to the right of the blade? Or am I asking a silly question?

Thanks!

[ 03-17-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Matthew Schenker ]

Haven't tried this myself, but looks as though you could just slide the F & B rails 12" to the right! In a similar way that 2424 owners do when they want to increase their right cutting capacity. There's the 4 bolts that hold the rail to the castings, and since they run in a T-slot just loosen and away you go...???

The stability of the extra 12" then has to be looked at. You'll see that almost every TS with capacities greater than about 40" has a set of legs to support these extended rails. But a temporary fix using a couple of battens could easily be achieved.

David

[ 03-14-2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Maybe use a CS and an edge guide? Full size sheet goods on a TS by yourself w/o infeed and outfeed support is a little dicey at any rate.

YMMV,

Monte

Comment

Matthew,

A bunch of us TS2424 owners have shifted our rails right - just do a search and you should get all the info you need. Big Johnson had a good post in the beginning of January about this and there have been a few more. The added rip is great

Patrick

Comment

Patrick,

You added two additional wings to the right side...Wow, never seen so much webbed cast iron!! And the size of the outfeed table is?? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Really great setup, pity I wouldn't have room for such a massive construction.

David

Comment

Well, that does sound like a lot neater solution! Guess that is one of the 'concerns' I have regarding the 3612... no real future expansion in the way of wide-table kits, etc.

I'll have to dig around a bit and look for that thread.

Just from the little bit that I've manhandled 3/4" MDF and the like around, I'd still say it might be a better idea to cut full sheets down a bit using a CS unless you have a helper.

YMMV,

Monte

Comment

Patrick has the right idea, and got really lucky with his cast iron wings.
              I'm a tight wad and did a scrap wood extension to acheive the same results.

John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John,

Your's is even wider than Patrick's due to the Router table extension. What's the total width of the top? You don't use an outfeed table?

David

Comment

Heck David, I have no idea. It's about ready to change anyways. I have to make a wider extension wing to accomodate the cabinet I'm making to fit under the right side of the saw.

The outfeed table in the photo is being used as a glue up table and has a old plastic table cloth on it. Since that photo I've changed it from a folding leg to permanent braced legs, and laminated the top with Formica. Folding legs were wobbly, and I was always using it for something so it never got stored anyways.

(Update)
                  Calculating the exact demensions I'll need to fit the cabinet under the right side, my saw will be just under 8' wide.

[ 03-16-2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Cutbuff,

The outfeed table is 8'x 6'. Shop space is only 10 x 20'. Check this link out:

http://www.siouxvalley.net/~ames/homepage.txt

Long story short on the extensions: I ordered one extension and it wasn't square and Ridgid sent a replacement out the next day - but they didn't want the other one back. I hated to waste it so I put it on the left since it doesn't touch the rails.

new link
                    http://www.siouxvalley.net/~ames/shop.html

[ 03-17-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Patrick A ]
                    Patrick

Comment

I am totally impressed! Good Show. I guess neatness does count.

It is a shame the window past the outfeed isn't a little lower for long rips. It looks like it would not be easy to move the TS.

[ 03-15-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Bob S ]

Comment

Ok. I'll bite. What gives w/ the home page being a text file rather than a html file? (yes, I realize a html file is just a text file w/ html tags, but my web browser doesn't apparently)

Monte

Comment

milanuk,
                          I set up the page on Thursday for the first time. I have no clue what I'm doing. I know just enough to be dangerous I wrote the HTML in Win Notepad - that's probably why it says .txt - and uploaded it. As I learn more hopefully I can correct it.
                          Patrick

Comment

Patrick,
                            I have a 2424, and it came with a wing that was improperly drilled, so that when mounted it was about 1/16 or more above the table top. I received a good one, and finally got around to drilling the right holes and adding the spare to the right side of the saw. The weight though, is pretty significant, and there is some sag. I have a pony clamp proping the wings up level, what did you do? It looks like there is a 2x4 and some sort of leg set. I see your set up is pretty much permanent, mine is a little more cramped and I need mobility. Any ideas for support with casters? I'm sure I'll come up with something, because I don't want the weight to flex the rails when I re attach them.

Comment

Andrew,

I use some adjustable metal legs (with a 2x4) that I got from another tool. You are right, my saw is pretty much stationary. However, when I move it I clamp two angle irons across the table top to give it rigidity. My support legs are not permanently attached and do not move with the saw. The herculift does fine with the added weight. You have several options for table legs and some of them may take casters. If you attach support legs w/casters to the wing you would probably have to tie them into the main base so that the top won't flex too much as you roll it around. You could build your own legs or here's an option:

http://www.woodpeck.com/tslegs.html

I considered using angle iron to support the top by attaching it across the underside of the table. You can buy a mobile base that will lift the saw and legs as a unit but it would be a shame to waste the herculift. Good luck!

edit: You may want to check out the Woody's Workshop link listed a few posts up for some ideas as well. My new non .txt link:
                              http://www.siouxvalley.net/~ames/shop.html

[ 03-18-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Patrick A ]
                              Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X