X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail head fix?

Can anyone tell me how to fix pneumatic nail heads that didn't sink all the way? sure don't want to scrap the project and start over.

Thanks

Re: Nail head fix?

Hammer and if needed a nail set, (if I am under standing your question)
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Nails or brads? For 16 gauge or 15 gauge finish nails, a nail set will most likely work although the results will require some touch up work. For 18 gauge brads, I think you would be best off to try and carefully pull them out and re shoot them.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

These are 16g finish nails that my nail gun did not sink all the way. I have tried hammer & nail set before with no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is there another fix?

Comment

Originally posted by dlgreen View Post
          These are 16g finish nails that my nail gun did not sink all the way. I have tried hammer & nail set before with no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is there another fix?
          I would use a hammer and nail set, if that doesn't work; I agree with pulling them out. I wouldn't try reshooting though, I think I would try to use a hammer and nail instead so I don't make a new hole that needs to be touched up.

Comment

Usually just end up with bigger holes to fill and not much improvement on the nail sink.

Comment

what are you shooting into and what is the air pressure?
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

3/4 Maple, not sure about the pressure. Set it to specs some time ago and haven't checked on it for a while. Most times the nails go all in just below the surface, but some times I goof. Most times a nail set just slides off the head and makes a bigger hole to fill. Difficult to get the head below the surface by hand.

Comment

3/4 Maple, not sure about the pressure. Set it to specs some time ago and haven't checked on it for a while. Most times the nails go all in just below the surface, but some times I goof. Most times a nail set just slides off the head and makes a bigger hole to fill. Difficult to get the head below the surface by hand.
                  Maybe try a different nail set? Some have bigger recesses than others for the nail to fit into.

Comment

http://www.buy.com/prod/channellock-...203497673.html

try cutting the nail flush with end cutters/pliers, snips etc. then use the nail set, hold firm on the nail and hit it once with a good swing of the hammer... also flip the nail set around and hit the narrow point with the hammer and the wide end on the nail... easiest would be turn the line pressure up to between 80-100psi...depending on whats behind the trim....
                    Last edited by EricMelvin01; 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM.
                    Eric Melvin
                    CF Manufacturing
                    CF Sales

Comment

Sounds like you've got a pressure/drive problem with your nailer. How long is the hose that you are using? Pressure should be at 90 psi, at the gun; so if you're using a long hose and or have leaks, you may be getting a significant drop in pressure by the time you reach the gun.

If you can resolve that, the next question would be whether or not to remove the "proud" nails and drive new ones... but I would be concerned that you're simply going to add more holes, which you probably wouldn't wnat to do on a "finished-grade" maple floor. (I presume that this isn't a tongue and groove application, so I don't completely comprehend the exposed nail heads.)

If the nail set is slipping off the head, as you indicate, then you need to buy a larger size nail set. I can't remember how they're "sized", but I have four different size nailsets in my tool box and yes, there are times when the biggest nose (point) is required.

I would NOT cut off any nail heads... The "head" provides the proper strike or impact area and without it, I really think you're going to have a bigger problem trying to drive them and not have them bend on you. And, once you clip off the head, it will be a major challenge to pull the nail if you have to. Besides, without the "head" you loose a major part of the nails holding ability and if your floor is such that you have exposed nail heads, then those headless cutoffs are going to show.

CWS

Ps: Another thought... is there something in the subfloor that may be keeping your nails from being proper driven to it's normal depth? That of course would also prevent you from sinking the nail further with a hammer and nailset. Possible problems are too many nails in the subfloor that you may be striking or if it's an old house with plank subfloor, perhaps you're hitting some really hard old dried out knots.

Just a thought,

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        .. Possible problems are too many nails in the subfloor that you may be striking or if it's an old house with plank subfloor, perhaps you're hitting some really hard old dried out knots.

Just a thought,

CWS
                        If the subfloor is flexible, the "bounce" will also cause the nail not to fully drive. If that is the case, a nail set is your only option, and it may be difficult. First make sure it is fully tight to the joists.

As for air, make sure you are not dropping to a 1/4" hose more than 12 feet from the nailer. If you are using a 25' 1/4" hose, you are probably losing a lot of volume of air. Pausing longer between triggering the gun will allow the gas chamber to fully fill at the psi you have set. My experience has been that intermittent unset nails is usually due to a bouncing substrate (i.e. the area between the joists or where the substrate is not secure to the joists)

Go
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

My first question: Are you sure you're using a nailset and not a punch or awl? You saying "it keeps slipping off the head" makes me wonder. A nailset has a concave (indented) tip so that the head of the nail seats into it tip of the nailset. A punch or awl has a pointed tip and will slip off the head of the nail.

I you are using a nailset, the point may be too small, so you have to move up to the next bigger size and see if that works.
                          Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                          Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Does your gun have a depth adjustment on it? I can adjust mine to drive almost flush to an 1/8" deep.
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                            X