X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freud Dado Set Usage question

I have just set up the Freud 8 inch Dado set. The first project was to cut the zero clearance plagte. My problem is with .75 inch wide dado. I am using the 4 "fatter" cutters but the width is about 1/32 short of 3/4 inch. When I add the "thin" cutter it is about 1/32 too big. Is it supposed to be exactly 3/4 of an inch. Also when adding the "thin" cutter the bottom is perfectly flat but taking it out I ending with a slightly uneven bottom. I'm trying not to go back to the router for my dado cuts for everything.

thanks
    Gary

Your dado set should have shims. Use shims between the blades to increase width to 3/4". What saw are you using? If it is the 3650, see one of the 3650 arbor topics.

Edited for typo.

[ 02-22-2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Why not call Freud, 1-800-472-7307, and ask them what going on? The two outside blades combined with the four 1/8" chippers should give you a 3/4" dado and not a 23/32" dado. Have you taken a caliper and measured the width of the teeth on the outside blades and chippers? It sounds like the 1/16" chipper is OK but you might have a problem with one of the outside blades or one of the chippers. You can do what Lorax suggests and use shims but for a 3/4" dado you shouldn't have too.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That was exactly my sentiment, that the 4 chippers should do it. I could understand it being a little bigger than .75 as you could accidently get two of the adjacent teeth side by side and that would expand the width, but all 6 blades flat together should be exactly .75. I did put a shim in and it was better but it was not .75. I would expect this in a $39 dado set but this was $94 at HD. This is the first time that I have ever used a dado but I think I understand the concept. It is pretty frightening the first time you fire it up. I also get a whole ton more sawdust on regular cuts over the top now that I am using a zero clearance blade- both dado and regular.
        thanks
        Gary

Comment

Badger Dave,
          You're right, of course. I guess my thinking cap wasn't screwed on tight enough. Should be 3/4" + or - a few thousandths without shims.

macpiano,
          Did you mean zero clearance inserts? What kind of dust collection do you have hooked up to your saw?
          Did you check to see if your arbor is OK?

[ 02-22-2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I have the dado set you are referring to as well and have had very good fittings when working with veneered 3/4 plywood. I have not made fittings with 3/4 stock that I have planed myself, so, this leads me to believe that you are accurately describing the situation - The two outside blades plus the three 1/8 chippers plus the two 1/16 chippers are not a full 3/4.

The shims are different thicknesses and you could also just use a piece of paper or put some masking tape in the right places. Seems that when you start dealing with 32nds and 64ths almost anything can throw things off.

Comment

I'm thinking the 6 blades together don't equal 3/4 so that 3/4 ply etc. which may not be a full 3/4 will work. I did use a stock 3/4 board that I didn't plane and it didn't fit with the 6 blades in. Thanks for your input.

Gary

Comment

This is the scoop from Freud themselves: As for the dado it should be slightly undersized when stacked without shims. If it was exactly 3/4" then you would have no adjustability without going to a thinner chipper and a lot of shims. Also every saw has some level of run out so if the stack was exactly 3/4" the groove would always be over sized.

Comment

The only way that I'll buy that explanation is if that exact same explanation holds true to every dado set no matter who makes it.

A TS with an arbor runout of say .003" is not going to make that much of a sloppy ¾" dado if the outside blades and chippers are what they are supposed to be, 1/8".

It also wouldn't take that many shims to make up the diffeence between a 1/16" chipper and an 1/8" chipper,but then, isn't that what shims are for?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Actually, I think it's quite forward thinking of them. Let's face it, vast majority of use will be with plywood, which isn't quite 3/4". For planed solid wood, you can add chippers. Heck, Freud just faced reality----frankly, if you're going to be mad at someone, do it to the plywood industry. Digging through my scrap pile---found some recycled ply' that (horrors) was actually 3/4". My experience has been (even with high grade hardwood veneered) is that you will get different thicknesses depending on what part of the sheet you're using.

Sorry to rant, but it's a major peeve of mine.
                    Dave

Comment

I did have a problem with the router fence being not 100% straight and Freud offered to have me send it in to fix it. I used a couple of those thin shims that came with my 3650 and that works perfectly. I am buying Freud's line on the dado because while you and I might go to great lengths to align our saws I bet there are a whole ton who do not.
                      Gary

Comment

It is clear that with some models of stack and safety dado blade sets that there can be clearance and alignment issues when used in conjunction with the RIDGID® Model TS3650 table saw. We apologize for any confusion or performance issues that they may have created for those of you who have experienced a problem of this nature. This problem does not occur with all dado blade sets so as a result RIDGID would like to provide you with this means of assistance should you have a concern with your TS3650 arbor and the use of specialty blades like dado sets.

PLEASE CALL RIDGID TECHNICAL SERVICE AT 1-(866)-427-8177.

Our experienced technical support staff will quickly be able to diagnose any potential issues you may have with your TS3650 arbor. If you do have a problem, we will stand behind you and do what we can to supply you with a remedy so that you have the optimum performance, productivity, and enjoyment out of your RIDGID TS3650.

Comment

Working...
                        X