X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Scroll Saw

Anybody got one. I just picked one up for $92 off of E-bay. Thought it was a good buy. But, you can't find one on RIDGID's web sight...and they sell the blades but not the saws at the local HD's here in Louisiana.

Any comments?
    keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

The scroll saw was dropped two years ago.
    Andy B.

Comment

Nice find!

I purchased mine used, had a bad motor. Back when Ridgid had customer service...in 2 1/2 days I had a new one free of charge. I posted before about this.

Anyway, it's a great unit, I love mine. Just last night as I was setting up the docking storage tower, I decided to mill the table down to a slippery shine. Started with 80 grit, worked my way though 150, 220, 320 and 400 grit. Hit it with a wheel with 1000 grit compound, then did a 4 layer wax finish. Shines like a mirror.

I doubt I'll ever buy another scroll saw as long as I live, at least in the 16" throat range. Very nice veriable speed range, on board blade storage, and detailed manual. Very easy to adjust and keep tuned up. (It's just a scroll saw, but dedicated to precission)

Take both pin and non pinned blades, very good blade clamps at both ends. Since my BS is out of commition, it's seeing alot more use for the smaller tasks. And is doing just fine.

One note: the dust collection is better done by mounting it to a piece of plywood, and locating a vac hook up whole directly under the blade. I use the Stinger Vac for most my small machine operations, and it handles everything the scroll saw can dump at it.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Andy and OU.

Good info OU Woody. I appreciate your input.

Also, are you making your own storage tower or using the "Tool Dock" system? I am planning on doing my own but, haven't made up my mind yet.
        I've built a mini dock that holds my router(attached to the table insert) and my Pocket Pro pocket hole jig(mounted on another table insert)in my router table cabinet.

I also polished my table saw table and waxed it. I wish my car looked as good.

Comment

When I first started setting up my shop, for speed of getting things underway, I purchased the basic needs of things. Now, it's at the "improvement level". I would never spend my hard earned dollars for manufactured items I can make stronger, better, cheaper, and to suit me exact needs better. I will built it myself.

So to answer your question; I designed, and am in the process of constructing a docking storage tower and a docking station for 3 small rarely used machies. They use to sit about the shop collecting dust, now they will sit inclosed in a cabinet, ready at a moments notice, and be free of the dust created by making things.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I've had my scroll saw for over 2 years now. I like it a lot. Vibration is very minimal... in fact, I believe it received the highest marks for vibration and a pretty solid review when compared to the field of scroll saws a couple years ago. Not sure why they discontinued, unless it's just not a very high volume selling tool.
            \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Received my scroll saw last Thursday. It is a sweet little machine. I'm surprised how quiet and smooth this saw is. It will be perfect for projects with the kids.

Anyone know where I can get a manual for this machine?

Comment

http://www.ridgidparts.com/pdf/SS16500.pdf

Here it is in pdf form. Download and print away!
                \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

I asked about the Ridgid scroll saw around a here a long while back. Then, about 2 months ago someone emailed me that they had a new one in the box, never opened.

So I bought it from the guy for a total of something like $130, $150 - including shipping.

It is a nice little toy, though I am hoping that Ridgid will come out with a new scroll saw soon.

Enjoy your new toy!

Comment

Working...
                  X