Can you glue this ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you glue this ?

Making DVD storage boxes and I want to glue rare earth magnets into the lid or box top to hold lid shut. I want to drill a hole to drop the magnet into so it is flush with the wood and I want to hold it in with glue but don't know what kind of glue will bond metal to wood, so, what kind of glue can I use?
    Never outsmart your common sense

Re: Can you glue this ?

I would use epoxy

Comment

+1 for using epoxy. One other method would be to use cup washers.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 04-16-2010, 09:51 AM. Reason: Add cup washer suggestion.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I used epoxy to glue rare earth magnets into the edges and frames of some dog doors I made for my nephews boxer kennels. Still holding strong after 3 years exposed to the elements.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

What everyone else says, it's a job for some 5-minute epoxy.

Comment

I too, concur with using a 5-20 min. epoxy. I also recommend making the recessed hole "snug". Place a dab of epoxy on the bottom of the hole and tap the magnets into place. I use a piece of oak dowel to prevent any possible damage to the magnets.
            Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
            Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

I build speakers and use neo magnets behind veneer for grill covers. I just use CA glue... otherwise known as superglue.

Comment

I also support the use of epoxy but I also have used gorilla glue.
                I make the wood damp with a drop of water, then place one SMALL
                drop of glue on the magnet. I press fit the magnet into the drilled hole for it.

I then place some blue painters tape across it to ensure the glue pressure as it expands does not push the magnet out.
                It seems like a lot of extra work but it really holds the magnet in place.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                X