X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Blades on the TS2400

I was doing my first project(pantry shelving) [img]smile.gif[/img] I was going to cut dado's and fit the shelves into them, figuring this would be good practice. [img]smile.gif[/img] The problem I incountered when I went to HD to buy the insert and Stacked Dado blades, was that the only one they had said not to use with portable TS or Bench Top Does anybody have any input on this?
    Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

You can use any popular stacked or wobble dado with the TS2400 table saw. You just need the appropriate insert. The inserts for the large table saws are exactly the same as the jobsite saws.

I would be wary of using a large stack dado on a little skil bench top saw, but the TS2400 it will handle with no problem.

Jake

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

Jake are you saying I can use any stacked dado? Even if the manufacture says not to (DeWalt was the one I was looking at)or can someone recommend a good stack dado,

Comment

I havd a jesada dado set. I am very happy with it.
        Andy B.

Comment

Freud makes excellent stacked dado sets. A good dado set can cost around $150. A good blade(s) will make your saw perform at its best. The key to a good dado set is the ability to cut a flat bottom dado with minimum tearout. When you buy one, buy a good one because it's probably the last one you'll ever buy. For the record I have a Freud SD 508. Makes beautiful cuts. Do a search at some of the Woodworking mag websites and look for tool reviews on dado blades.

Routing the dados is also an option and if you already have a router, router bits are a lot cheaper than dado blades.

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Hergy ]
          Dick

Comment

Jake, perhaps you'd also mention if 6", 8" or either size is recommended.

Hergy, over time router bits are more expensive than dado blades, as the blades last much longer. I still prefer bits, as the result is of higher quality.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck Rebhorn:
              Jake are you saying I can use any stacked dado? Even if the manufacture says not to (DeWalt was the one I was looking at)or can someone recommend a good stack dado,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I will not override what a specific blade manufacturer recommends, I can tell you we design and tested that saw with most dados in mind.

A six inch dado would be adaquate for most all jobs, but the saw can accept up to an 8" dado.

Interesting I didn't even know DeWalt made a dado

Jake

Comment

I'll check the next time I go there I could have been fooled by the packaging (Yellow)
                Also the forum here is outstanding!!!! the questions I ask might seem dumb to a proffesional but to a novice like myself your patience and great feed back has been great. Now my next question. Should you always square the fence and mitre everytime you change blades. I know in the printing industry which is what I do everytime you change a roller or a cutter blade you have to make adjustments. Once again thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yellow packaging at Home Depot is probably Oldham, Chuck. Not the top of the line, but not too bad either.

Changing blades is a minor and routine activity. You shouldn't tweak anything doing it. Maybe check the first couple times just to be sure, and after that only if something seems off.

Dave

Comment

Jake
                    If I'm understanding ypou correctly. You cvan use a 8" dado on both a TS2400 and a TS2424? Using a 8" dado only reduces the Max depth you can cut with it. If so what are the advantages of the 6" Vs 8" beside the depth of cut? So for these question , but I am also a novice. I also agree with Chuck R. that the people on this board are very understanding and helpful for us novice type people. Thank to everyone for the support. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

As was stated earlier, the 2400 series will take up to 8" (which is max for a 10" saw as I know it).

Further, The old adage holds true: "Buy the best and you will only cry once".

Forrest is what I would recommend. Others are good, but if you can part with the duckies, get the Forrest Dado-King and be done with it. Can get for $289 on the net, but generally list for 3 bills.

If you are not going to do alot of Dado work, then just get the best stack set you can (I do not care for the wobble).

Comment

Working...
                      X