R4511 Riving Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Riving Knife

I purchased my first table saw, the R4511. I got everything setup, except the riving knife. The knife is sitting pretty 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch above my blade. The problem is this.

The right side of the riving knife is suppose to be flush with the ride side of the blade to avoid any pinching issues between the knife and the fence when feeding wood through the saw.
    When I tighten the large blade guard screw that holds the riving knife in place, the riving knife over tightens and extends out passed the ride side of the blade and it isn't flush any more. Thus, creating a pinch point. The directions say to loosen the 4 hex screws that hold the knife in place, get the knife flush with the blade, and then tighten the screws back up. The same thing happens when I tighten these screws.

Long story short, every time I try to tighten everything down, the knife extends passed the blade and creates a pinch point. I can get the knife flush with the blade by just tightening the 4 hex screws and loosening the large blade guard screw, but then there's a lot of slop in the knife and it moves around. This doesn't seem safe. Once I tighten the large blade guard screw, it gets screwed up.

The knife is extended passed the flush point by a very very little amount. Probably 1/32 or 1/64. Is this an issue? The knife isn't the thickest metal, so the knife may push out of the way when a piece of wood comes through the saw.

I am currently using the Freud 40T Diable blade, not the one that comes with the saw.

Should I attempt to stick a shim in the mechanism that pinches the riving knife in place to keep the knife from moving over when I tighten everything down?

Please help!!!

Re: R4511 Riving Knife

No, don't stick any shims in. The manual is wrong, (IMAGINE!!) the adjustment screws for the riving knife are in behind the blade, not on the face of the holder. It's a bit of a pain, blade on, blade off, adjust, blade on, etc but it's worth it.
    Brian

Comment

That manual is a POS. I will look at it tonight. Thank you very much for the reply. Calling this forum "excellent" would be an understatement.

Comment

Agree on the manual!!! Adjusting that splitter was really frustrating. It took me about 7-9 attempts and I still am off a smidge.

Comment

I took 30 seconds and took the blade off last night. I had another obligation and didn't get a chance to look at the splitter adjustment. Since I'm not suppose to adjust the 4 hex screws that hold the splitter in place, what am I suppose to adjust? Is there 1 hex screw, 4 different screws, ect...?

Also, is there an acceptable smidge that the splitter can be passed the flush point with the blade? Mine is passed the flushpoint by the width of an aluminum can.

thanks.

Comment

Again, the manual is wrong. It is a piece of crap, a pile of smelly excretement... The screws must be loosened in order to adjust the riving knife.

An aluminum can isn't much, but it might just be enough to push your work against the fence and cause kickback.
            Brian

Comment

I'm a little confused.
              There are the 4 hex screws and the 1 large blade guard screw (sort of looks like a wing nut) centered between the 4 screws. These 5 screws hold the knife in place. These are not the screws i use to adjust the knife, however.

You are saying I should take blade off and adjust some other screw or group of screws to adjust the blade guard. Where are these screws? What exactly am i looking for.

Comment

If you follow the arm which holds the splitter (it is L shaped) to the left and back towards the arbor you will find (2) bolts (one on top and the other is on the bottom side of the arm) which will control the splitter adjustment. I do not have the repair sheet in front of me so I do not remember the technical name.

Challenge is... getting it perfectly aligned and keeping it perfectly aligned as you tighten the bolts. One hint... do not over loosen the bolts when making the adjustment.

Comment

Sounds "easy" enough. I'll look at it tonight.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X