X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealer for Eastern Red Cedar

Built some adirondack chairs out of Eastern Red Cedar that turned out pretty good. Now I think I need to seal the wood with something if for nothing else than to keep it looking like cedar and not just some old gray chair in the yard. I do not want to stain just seal the wood. What do you guys recommend?

Re: Sealer for Eastern Red Cedar

I like to use Cabot Australian Timber Oil

Comment

Tomapple,
      Where can I get some and how do you apply?

Comment

Lowes normally carries it. You want to use the "natural" (untinted). Will make your chairs a little darker than the raw wood. I really like the look of oiled cedar.

You apply it with a brush. I give the bottom of the legs a couple of coats (letting it wick in real good will keep them from pulling water up in the legs later). Then give the rest of the chair a coat.

If they sit out in the weather continuously, you will probably need to give them another coat once a year or so. Just a light sanding and a quick re-coat makes them look new again.
        Last edited by tomapple; 04-19-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I second the use of Cabot's, I've used it quite a few times and it works great. Easy to apply, makes the wood look nice and it protects well. Like any outdoor wood project, you need to make sure that you re-apply occasionally, depending on your outdoor conditions.

I also get mine at Lowes, in the same paint aisle as the rest of the stains. If memory serves, it comes in a can with a red and yellow label, but don't quote me, I don't want to run out to the shop to look.

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate this. I'll try and post a pic when comlpete.

Comment

I would just let them go natural and weather. Once you seal them, you are going to have to maintain it or it will start looking like crap.

Red
              Red

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
                I would just let them go natural and weather. Once you seal them, you are going to have to maintain it or it will start looking like crap.

Red
                C'mon now, admit it. You just like your outdoor furniture to match the color of your outhouse. ROFL

Comment

I agree with using the Cabot's. It's GOOOOOOOOOD stuff!
                  Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                  Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Working...
                  X