Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Berg---now, $265 Am/$399 CD---now you're talking. Haven't seen if Ridgid is planning a 2-speed. They have a good planer, but their old price would make it hard to compete with the new Delta or DeWalts. But, that price, even at a single speed, is a good deal!
    Dave

Comment

Ya know, I figured out that I have been woodworking over 50 years (Scary, huh, but still have all 10). But I still learn from Dave Arbuckle (I've met him - he isn't even 50!).

Despite the years, I switched from plywood kitchen and bath cabinets to hardwood furniture recently. I got my jointer first, and then the thickness planer which I used more, but as I do more work, and suffer from worse wood, I am going back to using my jointer a lot. So don't give up on the Jointer. But I am also anxiously waiting for Dave's chapter 2.

Comment

Yea, you can get by without a jointer, but when glueing up panels, a very good edge is a must. Also, lumber that is pre dimensioned is normally about twice the cost of rough stock, so even if you did have to invest in a jointer, the cost savings is made up for quickly. In the case of a Ridgid jointer, the cost can be realized in less than 200 bf of red oak. To me, that's a win win proposition. Also, the machine is small enough to be put on wheels and stored under a bench or table. (or like me, under cabinets.)

Comment

Gents, today was a real bear at $DAYJOB, and I'm frazzled. This will be continued this weekend though, I promise.

Charlie, I'm kind of amazed that you've been woodworking quite that long. You must have started very, very young.

Dave
          (appreciate the compliments)

Comment

Dave, thanks for the age complement. My father had a lot of hand tools that I abused at an early age.

My first project that I kept was a small stool with hand cut/chiseled dado to set the legs in the top, pine boards, stained and shellac. Not much to speak of, but I won a blue ribbon at a craft fair. It was about 4th or 5th grade, so I was probably under 10 years old. Which makes it over 50 years ago. Then in 7th grade shop (my only formal training) I convinced the teacher I was ready to learn to use the wood lathe. That project is less embarrasing.

Comment

Two comments:

Dave, since you don't need that jointer, when can I drive over to Plano to take it off your weary shoulders..

The only stationary tool I own is a TS. I'm just finishing up an hutch/china cabinet type project and it is clear that I really needed the ability to edge join for gluing panels as well as flattening faces to obtain uniform thickness. As much as I tried with a variety of hand planes , I still can not get as tight a fit so I look very much so forward to obtaining that piece of equipment. Next to the TS, my brief experience corroborates this tool the next important. Planer and BS haven't been as necessary because I don't deal a lot with rough lumber (Yet).

So I ask, Dueker, how's the house restoration and when are these jointers going down for the new Sunkist line? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

I have an old 6" Craftsman joiner that was my first stationary machine. I also have a new TP1300. I use the TP1300 on almost every project but hardly use the joiner. I've found ways of truing edges on the TS and router table that are faster. But, when I do need a really good edge, the old Craftsman is waiting to be used!
                Guess what I'm saying is I can live without the joiner, but need the planer.
                Rob Johnson
                Orange,CA.
                Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Working...
                X