X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortising Attachment Kit

i am begining wood worker and have a Ridgid 15" Drill Press, model no. DP1550. i am interested in finding out if a Delta Mortising Attachment Kit will work on my Ridgid. Can anyone give me any thoughts on this? Also, is there another mortising attachment kit what would fit the Ridgid Drill Press? What about performance?

Thanks.

Alberto

Re: Mortising Attachment Kit

I can't awnser your question, just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and for a beginner woodworker also check out http://thewoodwhisperer.com/ he has alot of how to videos that are very helpful for rookies. Good luck Pat...

Comment

Hi - I also heartily welcome you to the forum, and have a little, quite possibly useless info for you. I have a mortising attachment kit for an old Rockwell radial drill press. I have no use for it ("sprung" for a mortiser). It likely is not very universal, because part of the kit is an alternate quill shaft. Anyone interested in it? Jim

Comment

I have a import drill press and adapted an AMT mortising attachment to it, (no longer made).

my guess is one could have it work, measure the quill diameter and the see if it is the same, if Quill is larger most likely not worth it, but if same or smaller I would think one could made a sleeve adapter if it is worth it to one,
        I see this one has a number of sleeves to adapt to different quill sizes, http://toolsandmore.us/delta-17-924-...ttachment.aspx
        (URL for info only not an endorsement of company or product)

but as far as yes or no it will not work I do not know, my guess is there is a good chance, and with a little measuring I would think one could be more assured of working or confident that it more trouble than worth.

you may just want to save up for a dedicated mortising unit, I would think even a lower cost one would preform as well as the drill press version, (note: I only own a drill press version)
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would suggest you do not use a mortising attachment on a drill press.
          The drill press is really not designed for that type of operation.

I also have the Delta mortising attachment and a Delta drill press
          Even for those once and a while mortises it's not worth the set up.

I'd recommend a dedicated mortising machine. You may also be able to use a router with the appropriate bit and jig.

Cactus Man

Comment

I'll echo Cactus Man's suggestion to get a dedicated mortiser, if you are that bent on the task. I have the Ridgid drill press and it's a great machine, but unfortunately I can't answer your question as to whether the attachment would fit. However, I do recall reading somewhere in the past that mortising with a drill press puts a lot of strain on the quill gearing, that is really beyond what it was designed for.

A dedicated mortiser is built with much heavier mechanism, according to the article.

I've made more than a few mortises, but I've always cut them by hand. Time conduming for sure, but doable. You could of course use the DP to drill out the cavity and then use a decent chisel to clean up the sides. There are also router templates/guides for using a router and a spiral plunge bit.

Sorry I don't have an immediate yes/no answer to your question.

AND, welcome to the forum,

CWS

Comment

I have the Rigid DP and the Delta Mortising Attachment. I finally figured out how to get it to attach and it works ok. If I did a lot of this, I would get a dedicated machine, but since I use it only once or twice in a year, mine works fine.

If you have trouble getting yours to fit, send me a PM and I will get mine set up and send you pics.

Comment

Forstner Bits and a hand chisel work wonders.

Comment

I have an old Craftsman DP (1984), and I bought the Delta mortising attachment and adapted it to work on my DP. The quill diameter of my Craftsman DP is slightly less than the Delta, so I shimmed the difference with some steel shim stock by cutting a strip to fit inside the clamp area of the yoke where it clamps around the quill. I cut the length slightly less than the circumference of the quill leaving a small gap of about 1/8". I wanted there to be room for the shim to close up as I tightened the yoke clamp without getting cramped. I worked fine for many years and only took an extra minute or two during setup. I now have a dedicated mortiser but I still have the attachment for the DP. I have only used it twice since I got the PM-701 mortiser, and that was because I had the 701 already setup for one mortise and I wanted to do another without disturbing the first setup on the 701.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hi - Since the thread on this is "Mortising Attachment Kit", I have a never used kit for an old (so am I!) Rockwell Radial Arm drill press. It's in perfect shape, and if you pay the shipping (and, PLEASE, only if you'll use it - no E-Bay freaks invited!!!), I'd rather see it used than laying in my shop.

I have no idea what DP it may or may not fit, but the old Rockwell kit part number is 11-976. If interested, please post it now. Otherwise, I'll find your post or email in a couple weeks or so. Jim

Comment

Jim, I recently acquired a '76 rockwell radial that the 11-976 would work on. I understand this is many months after your post, but if you see this and its still available I would be interested in her.
                      Thanks,
                      Mark

Comment

I had to disassemble the quill and rebuild my drill press after I used one on my Craftsman 17" drill press to make about 20 mortises in white oak.

Comment

hello mapdude, I am new to this forum

I too have a Rigid DP15501 and a Delta Mortising Attachment 17-924. I tried to attach the unit around the stop collor so that the chuck would stop grinding into the unit. The trouble is that I made an insert ring with Rubber but that didn't work. When I apply pressure the square chisel doesn't go that far down when the rubber insert slides off.

How did you get you unit to attach to the drill press?

Comment

Working...
                          X