Garden Hose Reel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Hose Reel

Anyone tried making a garden hose reel? I need plans for one any suggestions?

Re: Garden Hose Reel

first I do not know of any plans, (the first time I tried to post it disappeared into cyber space),

If want it out of wood, I would most likely try to find a wood spool to use, or find one and use it for a pattern even if one has to adjust the dimensions to make it smaller, and then use a quick hose connector, (should be pickup at a good hard ware store for hooking up the rolled up end to the supply, (do not know of a slip swivel that would be affordable, with out buying a hose reel), and make some type of stand, either a rolling unit or a fixed unit, use a pipe or large turned post for the axle or shaft and put some type of crank on the end to roll it up,

may be find a plastic unit you like and copy it in some way for the basic design for the frame or style,.

did find a set of plans (sorry I did not see it was for a cord) but maybe of some help to you,
    http://books.google.com/books?id=99g...page&q&f=false
    if that does not work try this (about the middle of the page,
    http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/r...ex.php?cat=439

below is a picture of a plastic reel what could be easly be made of wood. IMO
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just my two cents worth on this idea. I've worked with wooden cable reels that held telephone cable, and I think any reel large enough to hold 100ft' of garden hose would be very heavy. That weight would make winding up the hose a chore, and require some well thought out spindle design. If you were willing to combine wood and plastic, I think you could make something lighter and stronger. One area comes to mind, instead of the core of the reel being a complex of wood slats, use some 2" schedule 80 pvc and flanges to attach to wooden outer reel ends. The pvc is strong, lighter than wood and better as a core material. Good luck.

Comment

Although this is not a reel it does hold hose and is made of wood ...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Just my two cents worth on this idea. I've worked with wooden cable reels that held telephone cable, and I think any reel large enough to hold 100ft' of garden hose would be very heavy. That weight would make winding up the hose a chore, and require some well thought out spindle design. If you were willing to combine wood and plastic, I think you could make something lighter and stronger. One area comes to mind, instead of the core of the reel being a complex of wood slats, use some 2" schedule 80 pvc and flanges to attach to wooden outer reel ends. The pvc is strong, lighter than wood and better as a core material. Good luck.
          Franks idea is good, but I would use a larger diameter piece of PVC. I think 2" is a pretty tight radius to wind garden hose around. It will work but it will tend to flatten out and this would restrict flow unless the entire length of hose is spooled out. If I was going to try building one of these I think I would look at using 3" or 4" PVC.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
          X