Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a used TS2424

Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. I just bought a used TS2424 from craigslist as an upgrade to my *newer* Ryobi BTS15.

I saw the ad and spoke with the guy. They apparently bought it 2 years ago, used it only 4 times and were moving to LA and couldn't take it with them. I checked it out and it seems ok, except for a little rust on the table, which should clean up nicely.

I paid $300, which it looks like might have been on the upper end of the spectrum. I wanted a nice table that I could build on (router table, etc) and make the center of a DIY hobby/home renovation shop.

I am not 100% sure I got all of the original stuff. It looks like I got almost all of it, I did get a Freud Diablo 80 tooth blade too with it (in addition to orig).

I saw some discussion regarding getting the 3650 or 3612 fence, did anyone find a source for this?

Does anyone know or have good recommendations on router table add ons or other great upgrades?

Did you get the mobile base with the saw? If not there is one on e-bay. Do a search for "Craftsman Table Saw". I'm looking for another Herculift plus but Ridgid referred mt to HD and HD couldn't help either.

Comment

Yeah I got the stand and herc-u-lift. I think I might only be missing one wing, but I am not sure. The rest all seems to be there.

I would really like to find a 3612 or 3650 fence if anyone knows how to track that down.

Comment

JoshK, congrats on the new TS, I know that you'll be more than happy with it.

One of the first changes I'd make would be to take the stock OEM blade and replace it with either a nice combo blade like the Freud LU84R011 or a rip blade such as the Freud LU72R010. The Freud Diablo 80T will work just fine for crosscutting until it wears out. When that happens you might want to think about replacing it with a Freud LU85R010. The Freud LU Series blades are, IMO, a better bang for your dollar than the Diablo Series blades. They only cost a little more than the Diablos but because they have more carbide in the tips can be resharpened more times, saving money in the long run.

There has also been many threads in the past concerning the fence options on the 2424. Use the Search function and you should be able to find alot of info on that subject. The same is true about router table add-ons. Sorry I can't be more specific but your decision on what to do with the fence situation will also affect what you can do as far as a router table is concerned.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would really like to find a 3612 or 3650 fence if anyone knows how to track that down.

Josh there is a dealer on e-bay that has numerous parts for Ridgid tools. I've bought some Ridgid/Craftsman parts from him and they are new and very reasonable. His seller name is "woodworkertools" you might find something in his listings. Thers is a swap and sell forum on WOODNET.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually found it. You can buy the 3650 fence from ordertree.com part number th1019 for ~$125. I didn't find anything with standard google searches and such but a call to Ridgid parts gave me the info I was after.

Comment

Been looking on craigslist.com and picked up some more tools. What a treasure chest it can be. Got the Ridgid 15" Drill press, the 6" planer, the OSS Sander, and a Husky 25gallon air compressor. Gotta stop soon...

Comment

JoshK,

I don't understand why you would want to spend $125 to replace the 2424 fence with a 3650 fence. They are almost identical. There is nothing wrong with the 2424 fence for everyday work and the 3650 fence really doesn't change anything.

Rob

Comment

NOPE, there is quite a large difference between the 2424 and the 3650 fence. I have both and have used both. I have a 2424 fence in a box in my basment and a 3650 fence on my saw... Yes a it's a personal preference but... I've used both! and I gotta say from EXPERIENCE, that the 3650 fence and rails are superior!!!

Comment

For the record, that item number is for the fence only. I didn't order the rails. When I first opened the box and looked at the fence, I was scratching my head wondering what the difference was. Its a bit pedantic, but the 3650 Fence is a bit nicer and tighter in tolerance. Its little magnifying ruler pointer is a nice touch too.

Comment

I've never used a 3650 fence, but have seen it at HD. It appears to me that the only differences between it and the 2424 fence are cosmetic. Some of the parts on the 3650 are heftier than their 2424 counterparts, but the fundamental design and operation of the two fences seems identical. If there is a large difference, where is it?

Comment

Originally posted by JoshK:
                        Yeah I got the stand and herc-u-lift. I think I might only be missing one wing, but I am not sure. The rest all seems to be there.

Josh,

I have two of the 2424 iron web wings. If you are interested let me know. I would be willing to let one/both go for a reasonable price + shipping If interested email me at robritch at comcast dot net
                        -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT RIDGID PART AC1036. ITS A 36" RAIL AND FENCE ACCESSORY THAT FITS RIGHT ONTO A TS 2412. I IMAGINE IT WOULD FIT PERFECTLY ON A 2424. IT GIVES ALL THE FUNCTIONAL ADVANTAGE OF THE FENCE SYSTEM USED ON THE 3650. I FOUND ONE IN A HOME DEPOT IN NEW YORK AND PICKED IT UP FOR $20. IT FIT RIGHT ON THE 2412.
                          IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

Thanks Rob for the offer. I actually do have all the web plates.

Comment

Re: Just bought a used TS2424

I've got an old craftsman table saw. While surfing I came across a couple people that have put a Ridgid AC1036 fence on a craftsman table saw, my exact model. I recently tried to buy the AC1036 from Ridgid was told it was discontinued in Oct 2007. I'm still interested in the AC1036 if one is available somewhere and have also found a Ridgid TH1019 fence. Anyone know if the TH1019 would mount up to the craftsmen like the AC1036? I'm not sure if the TH1019 includes rails. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X