Oldham carbide blade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldham carbide blade

I was in HD today looking for a Freud combination blade, but was forced to buy an $18 Oldham blade when all of the other 10" carbide combination blades were sold out. I put it on my 2424 and was very pleased with the quality of the cut. The kerf on the blade seems a little wider than the original blade, but the Oldham worked well for the cross and rip cuts that I made. Even if it does not last as long....I can buy 2.5 of these vs. the $40 Freud or $48 Craftsman blade.

I would never have bought this blade if HD had kept the more expensive blades well stocked. Does anyone else have experience with Oldham blades?

Hey Jamie,

I have two Oldham TS blades. I purchased the one you got and also the Signature Series combination blade. I have been very pleased with both. The Signature Series cuts exceptionally well, leaving a very polished edge on rips as well as crosscuts with little tear-out on the crosscuts. It comes with a blade stabilizer and a free resharpening coupon. I got it at Lowes and the standard combination blade came from HD. Not a bad deal for 18 bucks and it also cuts well. I also have several Oldham Viper router bits and they too have performed very well. Oh I also have the Oldham Elite Dado set and it cuts crisp edges and flat bottoms. I guess what I am trying to say is I have been very pleased with all of my Oldham products. Have fun.

Gregg

Comment

oldham actually got very respectable ratings in one of the wood rags tests lately they were behind the forest ww2 but real close to frued and about 1/2 the cost

Comment

Actually, neither Oldham nor Freud have their best blades at HD---the Freud Diablos are kind of their big box discount blades. Also, the Oldham Viper bits seem very good and have received pretty good marks.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

I used the Oldham 8" stacked Dado that HD sells for $100.00 and in my opinion it was junk. Very bad tear out and uneven bottoms made me take this set back. Even for 100 bones (which is middle of the road for dados) I expected better permormance. I do not believe that this is the "elite" set praised by Greg. I now use a Freud Super Dado which is in my opinion awesome!!!! It sounds like the other Oldham products are worthwile but I'd steer clear of the $100 dado that HD stocks!
          - Tim

Comment

Hey Tim,

You are correct about the Oldham dado set at HD for $100. That is not the elite set. I purchased mine via the internet through Woodworkers Choice. It is in same price range as the CMT, Jessada, Freud SD, and so forth. It is my first stacked dado purchase and has performed very well thus far. Made the box joint jig from Shopnotes the other day and have been making box joints ever since. Have fun.

Gregg

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: Gregg ]

Comment

Working...
            X