HF 2hp DC - Sorry, But Questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF 2hp DC - Sorry, But Questions?

I know the subject seems to have been "beaten to death", but I'm now planning my whole-shop DC system and could use some sage advice, especially since the specs on that DC are frequently questioned. I'm hoping some of you have experience with setups like I'm planning.

1. Will that HF DC generate enough air flow to keep air in 6" horizontal piping (straight - no turns) moving fast enough to avoid chips/dust piling up in the pipe. My longest run is about 30' of S&D ASTM 2729, no Tees or sharp elbows, etc., and MINIMAL to NO flex hose. Only 1 blast gate will be open at a time, and the BIG dust/chip generators will be 15' to 20' from the DC.

2. Have you tried turning the motor and impeller/housing 90 degrees, motor up, and pulling the air INTO the impeller through a Thien separator placed directly below the impeller while exhausting DIRECTLY into the filter system, eliminating the factory supplied 5" hose? What about replacing the impeller access plate with a plate with a 6" port instead of the factory 5"? I've seen photos of this, but never did hear how it worked out.

3. Assuming I'll have to reduce from 6" to, say, 4" for some machines, I assume its best to run the 6" as far as possible, and then go to the 4" reducer. Any different advice?

I'm reading all forums/posts/books I can find on this subject, but I have come to very much value your experiences as related on this forum. Thanx. Jim

Re: HF 2hp DC - Sorry, But Questions?

I'm not going to be very much help but I have that DC and I wouldn't try and run a setup like that with it. The part that I would be the most concerned about is whether or not you could generate enough air flow at the furthest away part of your run from the DC to lift the chips from the tool up into the piping.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Jim,

I connected mine almost exactly as you described, but went with 4" pipe the whole way. Have had it up and running for about 6 months, no problems yet. Run it thru a Thein seperator and added the 35A series filter to the top of the collector, makes a world of difference. Shop is 24' wide and run from DC up wall and over to joint on other side is well over 30'.

I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance.

Comment

Guys - thanx for your replies. I hope I get pics of my shop to go with this post.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jfin; 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM. Reason: To add text

Comment

Well- you didn't get the text (I'll get the "hang" of this "posting" business yet!).

My ideal DC placement is against the far wall in pic #2, in a "closet". The placement of the tools is undecided, and rests in large part on how the DC system ends up being installed. But, I can shorten the main run if I go mid way along the window wall, but that pretty much precludes the "closet".

BadgerDave-thanx for the warning re: vertical transport. I may do some experimenting re: that.

burton298 - would very much appreciate the photos. Whatever system I end up with, I only want to install it once (if I can "pull it off")!

Again, my thanx - Jim

Comment

Even though this is pretty obvious I'll say it anyways. I think you'll get the best performance from your DC if you setup the shop so that the big chip makers like your planer, jointer and table saw are the tools closest to the DC.

Comment

Thanx - I'm coming to agree! I'll let you know how its going as I work my way through this process!

Comment

Here you go Jim, hope these help. I put a blast gate on each piece of equipment so only one was "sucking" at a time. Was not completely finished yet but you get the idea......
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice shop you have there burton298.

Comment

Thanks Dave it took me a long time. Spent 20+ years in the Army and was never able to settle any place long enough to build one. Finally retired in 2005, built the shop in 2006 and have been loving it ever since. By the way I'm originally from Fond du Lac county,WI out by Long Lake in the Kettle Moraine..... went to school in Campbellsport.

Comment

I need to thank BOTH of you for your time, your concern, advise, and the super photos. I think I'll begin by experimenting with 4", and then final my design. My plan is to temporarily install the longest run, "feed it" with planer chips as a test, and refine the design based on that data. I really like the way you altered the DC, burton, but that will be my last task, after all else is proven out. I'll update on this thread when I have facts to share. Again - MANY thanx! Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X