No announcement yet.

TS3650 fence is out of alignment . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 fence is out of alignment . . .

Just bought a TS3650, I love it! However, I noticed that the fence is square towards the front of the saw, but it is off by a little more than a 16th of an inch at the back of the saw (closer to the motor) after I tighten it down, is this normal? If I pay really close attention then I can jimmy the micro adjustment knob back and forth to get the fence exactly parallel to the blade, but I think there is something I am missing, any thoughts? I have adjusted the saw blade, tightened the trunnions, and adjusted every part of the fence itself exactly as the manual tells me too, but I have not been successful in correcting this problem. The only area that I find a possible fault in is on the front of the fence, on the part that attaches to the actual aluminum rail, there are 2 plastic parts, one on each end of the "T", these plastic parts are what rubs against the aluminum guide rail. I think one of these plastic has worn down unevenly on one side, to me it looks like it has worn down a little less than a 16th of an inch on on end (due to rubbing the rail) and has no sign of wear on the other end. Maybe this small change is whats causing the other end of the fence to be off by the 16th? Has anyone else had this problem? I this a normal or acceptable measurement for the fence to be off by a 16th of an inch? Is there anywhere I could buy those small plastic pieces and replace them to see if that is my problem? any ideas would really help, thanks!

Re: TS3650 fence is out of alignment . . .

There are 4 screws where the fence locks, just loosen, align fence to miter track, or measure from edge of top to the fence at the front and rear. When all is lined up tighten screws. I check mine regularly to make sure it is correct

Comment

If the fence is a tiny bit AWAY from the blade at the back side, that's actually safer. However, if the blade is 1/16" TOWARDS the blade at the back, that's a HUGE safety no-no. If the wood gets pinched on the far (back) side of the blade, it can cause it to be flipped up at a real high rate of speed and flung at you. This never ends well, and WILL cause serious injury. At the very least, the thrown wood will damage something. And most likely you. DO NOT USE THE SAW IF IT'S PINCHING IN THE BACK.

While you follow xplorx4's directions on aligning the fence, you should think about opening the back just a tiny bit (1/64" or so) in the back. Again, make sure it's 1/64" AWAY from the blade.

Let us know how it goes. Welcome to the forums!!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

It's very easy to fix. I made a quick jig for fence alignment, it's a long piece of MDF that fits perfectly into the miter slot the entire length of the saw, but comes above the table about an inch. Slip it into the slot, slide the fence up to it and it's clear where the problems are. Loosen the screws, push it into position and re-tighten. No measuring required, quick and easy.

Comment

cephus....that sounds like a really great idea. i've always found aligning the fence to be a bit touchier than a t-square fence seems to be. a pic or two of your jig would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I should probably clarify that the saw I bought is not new, I purchased it second hand. I have done all the adjustments that the manual has listed, such as loosening the 4 bolts and re-tightening them, etc., and have had no luck in correcting the problem. I think I am describing the problem the wrong way, The fence itself is taught and appears to be square, its when I slide the fence along the rails that it goes out of alignment. The fence does not ride tight to the rail, so that little bid of wiggle room is what is causing the fence to be off slightly. I have tightened the screw at the end of the fence to try and "seat" the fence guides tighter to the rails but this does not correct the problem. I am still thinking it has to do with the plastic pieces that slide along the rail, perhaps one is worn down more than the other. Also, I have been using the slot to line up the fence so I know it when it is dead on or not. See the pictures below for further explanation . . .

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/dawsonwl/Desktop/Ridgid_RipFenceClose.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/dawsonwl/Desktop/Ridgid_RipFenceClose.gif[/IMG]

Comment

picture one . . .

Comment

sorry, here are the pictures to explain what I am talking about . . .

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by Whit.Dawson View Post
                  I am still thinking it has to do with the plastic pieces that slide along the rail, perhaps one is worn down more than the other.
                  Yea those can wear down! It looks like you can still get them, item# 24 on parts page. Part# OE290102
                  Last edited by Dwall174; 05-01-2010, 08:13 PM. Reason: Link Error

Comment

Don't know why the link for ridgidparts.com didn't work?
                    Lets try This One

Comment

Working...
                    X