X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer Question - Poor chip collection

I have a Ridgit 13" planer. I am also having some of the dimpling problems others have described here in the Forum.

I have found that a lot of the chips produced by the planer end up in the rollers and they go around and dimple the wood as it goes through the machine.

I have a 2" hose connected to the dust collector, it goes to a Jet 650 dust collector. Should be big enough to handle the chips produced.

My questions then are:

1) Is it normal to have chips blown backwards and sticking to the rollers?

2) Is my dust collecting setup suffient? Would I get better results connecting directly to the 4" side of the dust collector?

3) Is this a design problem? Why are so many people having problems with this machine?

What are Ridgit's recommendations on the proper operation of the machine to reduce the amount of dimpling, optimize chip collection and improve customer satisfaction?

PS: My problems occurs when planing pine boards. I have not yet tried any other variety of wood.

Two ideas-- try and take smaller cuts---this will produce lighter shavings---easier to be collected by dc. Also, go to the 4" line---the volume of shavings/dust, from a planner is pretty heavy for the smaller capacity line.
    Dave

Comment

another part of the equation may be static electricty building up in the d.c ar chips sticking to the plastic parts or the inside of the chip chute I have had that problem reciently (got some good advice here) the weather seemsto be the biggest culprit and other guys i've talked to w/ different brands have problems aswell (my fatherinlaw took the chip colector off his dewalt because it was pluging and another friend never uses the one on his delta he just wheels it outside good luck bill

Comment

PJ, I have experienced the same problems with my planer, dimples, the whole scene. Only difference is that my planer is a Delta 12 1/2"... dunno what the answer is..

Cheers Ivor

Comment

PJ I had the same problem with my Ridgid Planer when I was using the 2 inch outlet, then I switched to the 4 inch and that cured my problem. The 2 inch end just didn't have enough pull. I have the Rigid DC and I think it has has the same suck as your Jet. Hope that helps

Comment

The problem which the chips in not necessarily an under performing DC. As stated before, mostly the problem is static cling. The air moving around inside the machine combined with the dry wood creates an environment where the chips want to cling to everything and as soon as one or two chips get stopped up in the dust hood, it very quickly backs up the other chips. The divots you are seeing are actually the chips getting wedged between the knives on the cutterhead and the stock. While there is no 100% fix the best solution I have seen is to wipe the surface of the wood down with a damp rag just before planing.

Jake

Comment

Jake: I've recently purchased the 1300 and have been experiencing the dimpling. I've researched the threads, and have done all that has been suggested. I have better luck with the chip collector off and the chips blowing into the shop. Do all planers have this issue? I am wetting the boards, taking very shallow custs, etc. I clean the rollers, but as you've stated, it's the chips on the knives that are the issue, not the rollers. Is there anything the engineers can do?
              Chris

Comment

Jake, is the dust hood on that machine metal? If so, does it attach to a grounded portion of the machine frame? Again if so, is the inside of it painted in such a way as to cause it to insulate?

See where I'm driving with this?

Dave

Comment

There is paint on every part but the cutterhead. I guess it could be the paint causing the problem, but I'm not sure there is a way to go without paint...

Comment

Well, looks I stirred the hornet's nest again...

I am taking very light passes, the cut-thickness indicator hardly moves at all.

I will go to HD and get a chunk of 4" hose and connect it directly between the D.C. and the planer. Maybe that will help a bit. I will also try wetting the wood and spraying the chute with some anti-static spray.

I’m sorry to hear, that someone is having the same problem with the Delta planer (but kind of glad that this doesn’t seem to be a problem with the Ridgit product only).

Jake, I take it that you guys at the factory are seeing the same kind of problems there. I would be real nice to see if a couple of your engineers come up with a viable solution to this very pervasive problem.

Thanks for all who answered.

[ 07-11-2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: PJ ]

Comment

I don't believe there is an immediate solution that doesn't involve opening the cutterhead up to a point where it is unsafe (ie exposing the knives). I'm going to make sure to show this thread to our engineers.

Jake

Comment

Thanks Jake.

Comment

I think Dave A. may have put his finger on the static cling issue. (maybe you get rid of the problem same as with your clothes dryer--and throw in a softner sheet )

Probably not an answer, but I seem to remember, that with the old tractor feed printers, they had a suspended strip of metal (looked like a Christmas tree garland) strung over the tractor feed/paper. Is this off base or does it stir any creative juices?
                          Dave

Comment

I also have the same problems and have tried the above suggestions. I have a 2 hp dust collection (I beleive its 1500 cfm) system connected directly to the Planner (using the 4" side)--still dimples etc. I am getting ready to return this to HD (unless someone has a new option to try). My friend has a Dewalt and dosn't seem to have this problem.

Comment

I had much the same problem with my Grizzly G1017 12" portable planer.

This planer has a metal chip hood with 2 small vacuum ports one on each end. I used to connect a shop vacuum hose to both ports & the shop vacuum just couldn't keep up with what the planer put out. I cut out an opening in the center of the top of the hood & connected 4" PVC into it & taped both small ports up. I no longer have a problem with chips dimpling the wood. There are very few chips that escape.
                              Use safety devices or you may not need gloves.

Comment

Working...
                              X