No announcement yet.

Dust Control R4511 - Enclose the case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Control R4511 - Enclose the case?

I'm curious if anyone out there has enclosed the housing of the R4511 to increase catching all the dust created when cutting.

I have a vac hooked up the factory dust outlet when I use the saw, but I always end up with a pile of dust on the floor.

I've been thinking of removing the inner dust cover, enclosing the bottom somehow, and putting the dust outlet in the bottom. I've a small cyclone to use with it.

My question is, has anyone else done this? If so, how? And was it successful? I'm really not good at re-inventing the wheel, and would love to see some picture if possible.

Thanks,

Dell

Re: Dust Control R4511 - Enclose the case?

use the search function here. there are a couple of threads that address just the issue you are raising. i don't have a 4511, but the threads that come to mind seemed to have really improved on the saw's dust collection.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30464

Check this one out. OldSnuffy has the dust control mastered!

Comment

This is what I did. Although not necessarily for purely dust collection, it does enclose the bottom and the dust collection is greatly improved. I have it hooked up to a HF 2HP dust collector. After running it initially I noticed not a spec of dust on the ground or in the new pan, all of it went straight to the dust collector.

It rolls around extremely well too!
        Attached Files

Comment

Of course, I now realize that my crack adled brain typed in the wrong model number. I have a 3650, NOT a 4511. I'd been looking at the TS4511 just before I wrote my post, and wa-la, wrong number. ugh.

but folks, thanks for the excellent replies! I really appreciate the links and pics. I HAD tried using the search function, but I guess I was using the wrong keywords, and it wasn't getting me anywhere.

You know, I visit a couple different woodworking forums, and I have noticed a marked increase in the difficulty in using the search function. I wonder whats up with that?

Anyway, THANKS!

Dell
          Last edited by Dell Moore; 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: Incorrect model number

Comment

Dell, a vacuum will be hard pressed to perform actually dust collection duties. The HF DC unit performs pretty well when attached directly to the dust port.

The over blade DC is non-existent and this causes more problems than anything else. But this will be the case with most OE blade guards.

As for the R4511 owners, there are many, many gaps on the saw that will reduce the effectiveness of collecting the saw dust. I haven't bothered plugging all the gaps as I am not bothered by saw dust in the cabinet. I just want the fines you can not see to get caught up by the DC. And according to my particulate counter, they are.

If sealing the cabinet is important to you, by all means do so. But I would suggest you leave the bevel slot on the front of the cabinet open as you do need to provide make up air for effective DC.

Comment

try this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...276#post183276

it addresses what another forum member did on his 3650/60. i would not, however, reduce the 4" to 2.5" if i had a dust collector. proper volume is important to effective dust collection. hth.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If anybody is having dust collection problems on the 4511 it is not because of some gaps or small holes; you probably need a better dust collector. A shopvac is not capable of good dust collection because it does not move enough air.
                Like someone posted, you need to have some air flow so do not plug the gaps.
                I have a 5hp DC and the only dust I have is above the blade. But that is a problem with all tablesaws that do not have above the blade DC.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                X