R4511 Fences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Fences

I just finished installing my Vega fence on my new Craftsman Hybrid table saw 221160. The fence that came with the saw appears to be the same as the Industrial Fence system on the Steel City 35930 table saw. The 221160 also has the granite tops and looks to be the same tops as the Steel City 35930 and the R4511 uses. There are 4 5/16-18 fence mounting holes in the front.

My reason for changing fences is only that I have used the Vega for years and have jigs that I have built for it and don't want to do over. It did require some mods to the fence. You really can't do anything with the granite tops as they look like they were bored and a threaded insert was glued into the hole. The fence that came with the saw has UHMW faces.

If anyone is interested in this fence send my a PM and I will get back to you.

Al

Re: R4511 Fences

That should be a nice simple upgrade for someone with an R4511 or a Steel City 35920. It should also fit nearly all full size cast iron saws. Good luck!

Comment

I am just about to pull the trigger on a Rigid R4511 and plan to mount my Vega on it. Can you tell me or even better post a pic of what you had to do to mount it on your saw? I am assuming you had to drill and tap a new hole on the bottom of the front rail?

Brand spanking new to the forum, BTW! Hello all!
      John

Comment

Just sent you a PM John

Comment

Well this fence is going to a new home.

Al

Comment

I just set up my 4511 and put my 50" Vega fence on today. It wasn't that much trouble to mount it up. I actually had a harder time with the mobile base for the saw than I did modifying my fence mounting hardware!
            The saw is very nice. It has just a bit more whine and noise when cutting than my old Griz contractor (1022) with a shop-made base, but I think it will hold it's settings much better and overall be a more precise machine.
            I can tell you one thing, that puppy sure is heavy!
            Thanks for the pics Al, they were helpful. I will post some of my fence mounting on this thread later if you don't mind.
            John

Comment

By all means John, I'd like to see them. I think the Vega is a really great fence. Easy to install and very accurate.

Al

Comment

Here's my saw all set up and ready to work!
                I put the extension table and bottom shelf on tonight. The shelf is dovetailed at the end by the saw to slide tightly in to the angled legs resting on the side cross brace of the leg.

I had to file down the left front mounting bracket to miss the miter slot and as Al mentioned, I had to drill the back rail to allow for the miter guage to clear it as it exited the back of the saw.

As you can see from the tremendous clutter, I've got some cleaning to do tomorrow before I can resume my work. After I took my pics I got the outfeed table which I believe can be seen behind and to the left of my saw, cut down to the correct size and leveled. You can see my old Grizzly 1022 contractor saw in the background, I think I'll keep her, put the shorter Vega rails (26") on it and leave the dado head on it as a dedicated machine to save time.

Thanks to all the great info here, setting up the saw was a breeze. It just took some time and a little patience.

The Vega is a great fence combined with the finger saver, Vega tenoning jig, etc.
                Attached Files

Comment

forgot the good pic!
                  Attached Files

Comment

John,

I just started mounting my Vega on the R4511. Did you also tap the front rail to mount the switch and grounding strap to it?

Thanks and regards,

Dennis

Comment

Yes I did Dennis. At first I drilled a hole just above the switch on the mounting plate and screwed into the far left most threaded insert on the table top. This seemed to work well, but I thought it looked pretty goofy and it didn't allow me to use the grounding strap very well. So I drilled and tapped the front rail at the far left end and everything mounted up well.
                      Are you mounting a Vega U26 or the U50? I really like the extra capacity of the 50". I just upgraded by purchasing only the mounting rails from Vega. Now I think I'll order new mounting brackets from them and mount the 26" rails back onto my old Griz and keep it as a dedicated dado saw and just carry the fence over.
                      I got my outfeed table all cut down to the right height and moved into place and now I have a really nice "island" in the center of the shop.
                      Al, thanks for the info, pics and for letting me jump into your thread.
                      Happy sawing!

Comment

John,

I actually have the Pro50 as its price on Amazon was less than the U50. I did sacrifice some of the 50" by shifting the rail 10" to the left to give more left capacity than the stock 10" of the Pro50. I also ordered an extra pair of brackets to spread the weight over the four threaded inserts rather than the stock two.

Again thanks,

Regards,
                        Dennis

Comment

sounds like a great plan Dennis. Can you tell me what you paid for the extra mounting brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by John Voyles View Post
                            sounds like a great plan Dennis. Can you tell me what you paid for the extra mounting brackets?
                            They are $29 a bracket from Vega.

Regards,

Dennis

Comment

Dennis

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about that but I think I will also get two brackets for the front. I think the back rail is OK as is but the front one s heavy and get presure from being locked down each time.

Very good idea.

John

Looks like you have a great setup. Your brackets look a little different from mine but I got my fence way back "in the day". Somewhere around 1988 or 89.

Al

Comment

Working...
                              X