X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG Black Walnut

I just purchased two "blocks" of Black Walnut from a farm auction here in Maryland and was wondering what to do with them. These blocks are about 4' tall, 7" thick and about 15" or 16" wide. I bought them for $10.00 a piece, now I am like..hmmm what to do. They weigh a good 50lbs or more. Any ideas?

Thanks

I,m sure you can figure out something to do with them. Sounds like you got a great deal on them. I was wondering are you in the marines by chance your handle implies this? I have a son in the Navy. I know this doesn't pertain to your question sorry.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I wanted to make something that would keep the integrity of the large piece of wood. Small Black Walnut is about all you can get these days, so I wanted to make something unique, special for these large pieces. Yes, am a Marine.

Thanks again

Comment

A big Thanks for protecting us

Comment

Thank your son for serving. And..You are welcome

SEMPER FI
          [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

$10?!?!? Wow!

How about a Black Walnut Mantle? Now there's something that could accent a fireplace.

Pete
            Go Scorps!
            \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Actually that was something I was looking into, except these pieces are so big I have no clue on how to cut them. They are massive, even a saw mill told me to rip the things in half to about 8" wide. I bought them because they are rare, now I am like well, how do I use them? A great big nice mantle is what I may make after all.

Thanks

Comment

Many years ago, large boards like this were fairly common. No problems were encountered in working them, because hand tools were used.

Seems odd in this electric powered age, and goodness knows I have all the toys too, but when I need to cut a big piece like this, I use a hand saw. Might take a bit of time (much less than most people think), but it is fun work.

I commend you for realizing the rarity of such a piece, and for your committment to doing the right thing by it. Two reasons then, my hat's off to you.

Dave

Comment

Fire up your bandsaw and resaw those babies into 1 and 2 inch thick boards. The 2 inchers will make some nice stock for a mantle and the rest can be stickered and stored until future inspiration strikes.
                  Plan on spending a long time at the band saw though...7 inch thick walnut will require some patience. And if you ever feel like you've got too much of it left to deal with, I could refer you to my Dad in Waldorf...he'd love to releive you of some I'm sure.

Pete
                  GO SCORPS!
                  \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I think I will take your advice. I recently inherited lots of tools (hand) from my grandfather, and although it would be easy to cut these boards by electric machines I would get a lot more satisfaction knowing an old piece of wood was "carved and formed" by old hand tools. I am only 33, but will take the "old fashioned way" on this one.

Thanks all

Semper FI

Comment

Semper Fi, I to was in the Marines 66-70. Sorry this isn't a wood working post, but had to say hi to one of the few [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chuck
                      Sgt1166
                      Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

Working...
                      X