Attach Stone Cat to Tree Stump - How?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attach Stone Cat to Tree Stump - How?

OK, I KNOW this is not the right place to ask this, but then again, if somebody gives me a good answer I'm happy to be wrong.

I am about to cut down a dead palm tree that sits right next to an outer wall of the front of my house. But instead of just having a stump three inches from the ground I thought I'd do something a little interesting and whimsical by cutting it down to about about three feet and then placing some type of lawn ornament on top of it.

Because I also have a huge tree (or the City does) on the sidewalk in front of my house I found a 15-pound stone statue of a cat looking upward through binoculars. Obviously it would look as if the cat were searching for birds in the tree on the sidewalk -- kind of fun for the neighborhood if I say so myself.

Now, while I DO trust my neighborhood I think I still should attach it more or less permanently, just at least so it doesn't fall on some kid's head and I get sued... However I am at a loss of how to do this since the stone precludes me (to my knowledge) of nailing or bolting it to the stump. I was wondering if it were possible for me to just get a big glop of cement, put it atop the stump and stick the damn thing in it so it dries in the position I want. I have no idea whether I can buy that small amount of cement or if that's feasible but that's what my non-handyman mentality tells me.

BTW, The stone cat weighs about 15 pounds. Has a base of about 6" x 6" and is about 12" tall (see below).

Can anybody corroborate if this would work, how to do it if it could, or any better tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by MikeVB; 05-11-2010, 12:16 PM.

Re: Attach Stone Cat to Tree Stump - How?

Your best bet, I think, would be epoxy. The 2-part type system that you mix. If it's clear epoxy, use it to seal the end of the stump and stick the cat at the same time. This way, the majority of rot (the rain that would go right into the end grain of the cut is a major cause of stump rot) would be nixxed. The epoxy will keep that cat in place for sure! Make sure you have him angled right at your first go, since once it's stuck on there you won't be moving it at all.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I would run a number of lag bolts into the stump, leaving the heads up a few inches, say 6" to 10" long bolts, then I would probably use some flashing tin and tack it around the stump say about 3" up to make a form for the cement, (or some type of form) then probably run some wire from bolt to bolt steel wire if one can find some, pour the cement into the form and the bolts will embed in it creating a solid attachment to the stump, giving one, a good place to set the cat, I would finish out the cap, and take off the tin that was the form, and probably use a little grout cement and sand to set the cat on to the stone slab,

Alternate Idea is to pour the concrete cap off separately, and put some conduit with the ends taped so there are a number of holes in the cap to be able to lag the cap down, if it is not a flat or good cut one could put some grout down on the stump to fill in any voids, before bolting it down. ( just snug it so one does not crack it pulling it down), let the concrete set for a week min, before trying to bolt it down probably even moving it,

you can buy a sack or two of sackcrete at a big box store, it is premixed with cement and sand and rock, dump out on a area, and put a small dimple in the pile of cement, add a little water, and use a garden hoe to mix the water in, ad water slowly as when it gets soupy it will go from stiff to runny with very little additional water when that point comes,

I may have miss read a little (some how I read you wanted a concrete cap on the stump to put the cat on), but if you just want the cat, I would think epoxying it down would work as well, as VA said,
      Last edited by BHD; 05-10-2010, 05:47 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the 2-part epoxy route -- it just seems the most muss and fuss free, and while people HAVE called me names before, I KNOW I ain't no musserfusser!

Comment

Use a real cat and nails. Change cat frequently.

Comment

Glad I read this post carefully. I wondered if you had a "Stone Cat", as in rock/ceramic or something, or IF you had a "stoned" cat, as in too much Jack Daniels. David

Comment

Just to follow up on what happened, I went ahead and found some 2-part epoxy at WalMart and slathered it all over the bottom of the cat and stuck it atop the stump of my dearly-departed palm tree I just cut with my new-fangled electric chain saw. Here's a picture or two of what it looks like. Note he's looking up into the tree with binoculars; and also that I cut the tree to about a 5-foot "stump" so he could be seen over the bush by people walking down the street. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                Use a real cat and nails. Change cat frequently.

I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Should your epoxy fail, I worked for a school district for awhile and they had concrete tables mounted to a "patio" area. When we deconstructed the "patio" area, we discovered that someone had drilled one inch holes into both the pedestal of the table and into the concrete. Using a galvanized pipe nipple the two were joined using some structural concrete epoxy. Hilti I believe made the epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                  X