Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdur'----welcome and don't spend any more time looking for the dado insert----it isn't included---heard they will have one available--but not confirmed.

I bought the Delta 580 about 14 months ago. Prior to the Delta coming out, the Ridgid was on my short list of choices, but it's really now old technology, what with the Delta 580 and new DeWalts.

The Delta has been fantastic----like Cranky, I don't try to take too heavy a cut at once----couldn't tell you the number of lin' feet I've cut, but have used it for 3 good sized projects and there's not the slightest sign of the blades dulling. As to the DeWalt blades dulling----I would think, with three, it would dull slower.

The smoothness of the slow speed is great----requires very little sanding.

While I haven't changed the blades yet, the fact that they're disposable and require no alignment would be a real time saver.

BTW---while not as good as the WWS deal, Woodcraft is having a 10% off all Deltas tomorrow (Sat.).
    Dave

Comment

Ingkaw - All of the machines mentioned are well proven units, but as Daveferg pointed out, the TP1300 doesn't offer the techno advantages that the Ds' have. If you want the Delta sooner WWer's Supply can deliver, there were other places offering excellent deals too. Woodcraft had a one day deal not too long ago, and Toolcrib has it shown for under $350 delivered. Take an add to one of the borgs for a 10% price challenge. WWer's Warehouse is going out of business and should have deals-o'-plenty. Lots of options still....you could always just break down and buy the latest and greatest DWalley for bigger bucks!

Comment

I’ve had the Ridgid for 1.5 years and I have been very satisfied with the results it produces. HD is still demanding a $399 premium in this neck of the woods, which I would not be able to justify if I were going to buy today considering what a great value the Delta appears to be at the new reduced price.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions hewood, I'm in no hurry so the deal from WW Supply works for me. Tomorrow's Woodcraft 10% off deal is good savings for those looking to get the 22-580 soon, though I'm not sure how many are in stock and they could go quick because of the sale. Their shipping cost is $12.99 + $15 (excess weight fee)= $27.99, bringing the total Woodcraft delivered cost to 386.99 after 10% off, and after the $50 Delta rebate, $336.99. Good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ingkaw:
            Thanks for the suggestions hewood, I'm in no hurry so the deal from WW Supply works for me. Tomorrow's Woodcraft 10% off deal is good savings for those looking to get the 22-580 soon, though I'm not sure how many are in stock and they could go quick because of the sale. Their shipping cost is $12.99 + $15 (excess weight fee)= $27.99, bringing the total Woodcraft delivered cost to 386.99 after 10% off, and after the $50 Delta rebate, $336.99. Good deal.
            ingkaw - at Woodcraft this am in TwinCities and funny. They had the Delta's here but not a DW in-house other than the demo floor unit. But I'll wager by days end the Delta's gone too.

My order's in - guess when it gets here it gets here. I'll be thrilled (I just know that will be one staying home here----suppose I could bang up the DW and make look naughty, not nice.Maybe he'd then flip a coin)

HD seems to continue around here to hold line on prices on Rigid. Saw a 3612, sans rails of course. Still said $400 - it is now gone. Asked - $400 was number.

Maybe that means they gearing up for the sale - asked yestaerday at different store and guy said what sale! The info the employees have is different from here to there. Frustrating to many would be buyers I am sure.
            Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Just checked out the Woodcraft site, they're running their 10% off Deltas sale and the 22-580 is now out of stock, they went quick, not a surprise.

Cranky, you being the gift-giver and having the option to bestow the gift of either the DW or Delta, I say keep the one you want cause there's no way the recipient could complain about receiving either of those fine machines.

Happy holidays!

Comment

Isn't woodcraft a dangerous place to go window shopping.

So many tools set up. It's like crack cocaine calling your name.. lol

It's a great store to poke around in. I just wish they didn't have those 1 day only sales. I am not a big fan of impulsive sales. I would rather go Friday or Saturday, sleep on it, and come back sunday and buy it. I have purchased all my tools that way.

1 Weekend only sales would be better, but I still love the store though.

Jake

Comment

I was all set on the Dewalt 735 planer (the big one). However, at that price for the Delta I may have to rethink. While not in the 735's league, the Delta is a great machine I would never regret.

One note about the price of blades, a Dewalt set is 3 blades not 2 so you kinda expect to pay more.

One feature on the 735 I'm a little hesitant about is the electronic cutter head lock. Yes, you would never have to remember to set it but there is also more to go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rmacmec:
                    I was all set on the Dewalt 735 planer (the big one). However, at that price for the Delta I may have to rethink. While not in the 735's league, the Delta is a great machine I would never regret.

One note about the price of blades, a Dewalt set is 3 blades not 2 so you kinda expect to pay more.

One feature on the 735 I'm a little hesitant about is the electronic cutter head lock. Yes, you would never have to remember to set it but there is also more to go wrong.
                    I have a solution for you but it sure added to overall cost for me!
                    DW is gem. Delta too. Neither is wrong choice. Think great - and let checkbook decide here

Comment

Originally posted by ingkaw:
                      No Cranky, you didn't muddle things up in my mind at all, I'm very thankful to you for pointing out the great Delta deal, and I have just placed my order for it. It's on backorder as you know and that stock that will be coming in is already dwindling, so I thought I'd get my order in right away, and there's the option to cancel as it won't ship until the end of the month.

Glad you were able get the Delta, I'm sure your son will be mighty delighted!

Here's to great tools and great deals!
                      ingkaw - keep eyes peeled for that Big Brown truck. Guess what arrived at the house last night!!!
                      I think they may have arrived earlier than expected or they had inventory stashed that computer "missed" - box is unopened so I know it wasn't someone return
                      Actually had that done to me few years back on some router bit sets(woodcraft). Ordered 2 sets, one was opened and looked "suspect" so I opened also. Lo and behold-a couple of the dang things had even been used. They great and had me return locally and then they direct shipped next day to my son for me. And gave me a few extra cutters for the "trouble". Things happen - needless to say guess who I kick whatever business too when I can.
                      Let ya know which one stays here and which heads off with him. Still suspect he'll take the DW but one never knows with him-more and more surprises and changes eveyday I see in him. Growing up and finding ones place in life I guess.
                      Watch for Santa in that Big Brown sleigh and a Merry Christmas at you [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cranky - Called Woodworker's Supply a few days back and found out they received a large stock of the Delta's early and I'm expecting mine soon and can't wait. I ordered the dust hood too, which they are still waiting on, but I'm satisfied and looking forward to planing some boards this holiday.

Looking forward to hearing about your son's choice, have a wonderful New Years! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I ordered a 22-580 few days a go. What a bargain! but the wife was not too happy about me spending the money . Thank you for posting the price and the 10% discount for first time buyer [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've had the Ridgid for about two years. If I remember to lock the cutterhead, it cuts really well. I've run oak, cedar, purpleheart, mahogany, walnut, cherry and syp through it with not a whimper. Like others have posted, taking small bites is important. Since I don't use it all the time, I still haven't changed the knives! I think there's an extra set under the outfeed table?
                            EDIT: The dust chute sucks!! Made one that works better (no 90 deg. bend).

[ 12-18-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Bucheron ]
                            It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

Just a heads up, I got any email from WWSupply with the tracking number on my new delta. It is set to arrive on Monday, 12/22. Best part about that is I am a teacher and my winter break begins tomorrow at 12:30 pm. Can anyone guess what I might be up to for a few weeks?

[ 12-18-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: kdurhamjr ]
                              Durham

Comment

Hi guys, well, all this talk about planers makes me want one, but it will be a few years down the road for me. I did research some things that may be of interest. Lowe's seems to be slowley getting rid of all Delta and possibly Porter Cable products and has the Delta 22-580 at 357.60 plus tax. Saw this on line where it pulls product from my local store location. If you have a 10% off coupon, easy to get, that brings it to 321.84 + 26.55 tax local (8.25 rate) for 348.39 less 50.00 rebate = 298.39. If Lowe's is matching HD's 20% off this weekend as some have reported, 357.60 - 20% makes it 286.08 + 23.60 tax= 309.68 less 50.00 rebate = 259.68!! NOW, if they will also let you do the 10% off on top of that as HD is doing, that makes it 257.48 + 21.24 tax = 278.72 less 50.00 rebate==228.72!!!!! like I said, I'm not in the market for a planer, I'm not in the market for a planer, I'm not........ Jim.

d
                                At the least I'm Pentatoxic...most likely I'm a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X