X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift & Caster System for 3612

I purchased the 3612 a week ago. It took me approximately 10 hours to put the saw and stand together. I ran into a couple of items that I had to stop and read the instructions again but nothing major. Anytime I buy something and all the parts (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) are there in the right bag and in the right amount, which was the case with this saw, I feel as though I've purchased a quality product.

Only one possible problem remains. The caster/lift system just doesn't seem right. I originally had the levelers installed to the bottom of the leveler, as the instructions indicated. When it came time to install the lower assemply I couldn't get the ends of the "tube front" under the leg brackets unless I angled them. This didn't seem right so I lowered the four levelers approximately 3/4 of the way down which allowed me to install the tube fronts without angling them. I then installed the upper assembly without a problem. When I stepped down on the "plate assembly" the upper assembly only traveled approximately 1 inch and did not lift the saw onto the casters. Tonight I repositioned the levelers by screwing them in again until they bottomed out. This provided more travel to the upper assembly which now gets the saw up onto the casters and allows me to move the saw around pretty easily. However, when I lower the saw off of the casters the levelers do not come completely in contact with the floor. I thought the weight of the saw would cause the levelers to contact the floor but this didn't happen.

With the saw off of the casters should I adjust the levelers until they just touch the floor? I'm fairly certain that both upper and lower assemblies were put together and installed as per the instructions. Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bernie

Yup. I Shimmed the casters in front, and lowered the levelers, ending up with a 36 1/2" table heigth. I think it has to do with how loose you make the pivot bolts on the legs for the lift.

I rarely find the need to move my saw, so it is of little importance to me. But I know for alot of fellow WWers it's a must. I'm expecting all kinds of comments on this one!
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I didn't follow you exactly, but when I put mine together I couldn't believe how floppy the lift seemed. But after tightening it, it didn't work, so I went back to what seemed sloppy loose, as directed, and it works fine. So I would check that it is loose enough.

Comment

I installed my levelers the way the manual states. IIRC, you do need to put the tubing at an angle to get it installed. Then, just make sure that the four bolts that attach the system to the legs are pretty loose. It needs to be loose in order to raise the saw very much. If you go back and look carefully at the manual, it mentions this (although it is easy to overlook - I did that myself and had to go back and loosen the bolts, and now it works fine).

Comment

Why does it take 10 hours to put together? Is this the normal assembly time. I am going to buy this saw but have no desire to spend that much time assembling it.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael, I think it depends on how much experience you have on assembling larger power tools. It took me around 10 hours to assemble my saw and make all the necessary adjustments (trunnions, fence, levelling extensions). The table saw was the first major power tool I bought so I did not have a lot of intuition as to how it should go together. It takes time to tune the saw up so it performs well, but its worth it.

Comment

Any saw you buy will require considerable set up time, not just a Ridgid. If you want straight accurate cuts, you need to take your time and do it properly. if you don't take your time, you get sloppy work and a huge chance of kickback from something like binding or a blade that is not square to a miter slot.

Even the cheap $200 crapsman will require set up time, but will cost you more in time as you use the saw because of the constant need for adjustments. This is one of the reasons for buying a cabinet saw. They're heavier because parts are beefier and therefore are a little harder to knock out of whack.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I was assuming 10 hours without fine tuning and adjustment.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I looked at the manual again and on page 28 number 4 the instructions tell you to "...tighten the lock nuts until flush with bottom of screw". This is for the lower assembly attaching to the front leg brackets. On the same page, number 5 the instructions tell you to install the upper assembly to the leg brackets in the same manner as step "5" ( I think they meant step 4). However, the instructions then tell you to "...tighten all hardware at this time beginning with...". This is what confused me a little. Step 6 also directs you to tighten the hardware on the lower assembly. That's what I did.

If I understand some of the suggestions, it is to go back and loosen the nuts that hold the tubes of the upper and lower assemblies at the four leg brackets and this should correct the problem?

Rafael: Approximately 50 % of the time it took me to put the saw together was spent on assembling the stand and caster system. You do need to spend some time on the blade (90 degree and tilt) setup as well as the rails. I enjoyed putting it together and as I indicated in my intial post there was nothing really difficult to understand. Well maybe I got the caster system wrong but hey it's my first table saw. It was great to finally plug the motor in and turn the saw on. Smooth and quiet just like everyone described.

Thanks again for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by btsnuff:
                    If I understand some of the suggestions, it is to go back and loosen the nuts that hold the tubes of the upper and lower assemblies at the four leg brackets and this should correct the problem?
                    You are correct. That is the part of setup that alot of us got confused on.

Kevin

Comment

These are the screws that should be loose (and I mean loooose, just one thread past the nut).

I just put my saw together and documented all the steps with digital photos. I'll be making a web site soon to help all the future owners.

--Olivier

Comment

Just loosened the four nuts and the problem is solved. I readjusted the four levelers and when I lower the saw I'm still able to move it with some effort. I think this is due to the garage floor not being level. When I press down on the plate to lift the saw everything works great and its pretty easy to move the saw around. I'll have to find one spot where I intend to work with the saw, set the levelers for that spot and that should do it.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Bernie

Comment

I just put my TS3612 together Saturday and I want to thank you guys for the tips on assembling the Herculift! It was a piece of cake with your help!
                          The whole thing took me about 6 hours but I still need to fine tune the blade adjustment some more. It is a great saw and I can't wait to put it to good use.

Comment

Working...
                          X