X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressions of the 3650

I saw the 3650 yesterday and here is some impressions and questions I have.

I noticed a the motor is a no name. I always figure if I build soemthing I should do it well enough that I would put my name on it. Seeing a motor without a name worries me.

I liked the new extension tables but the webs never bothered me.

The mitre slot seems to have a lot of play. I could move the back of the mitre gauge in the slot a visible amount. I tried to measure it by shimming paper in and got about 3 sheets in before everythign fall out. But three sheets of paper movement is a lot to me. Has anyone else noticed to much slop in the mitre slot on either the 3612 or 3650?

To me it seemed the motor set closer to the back of the machine than it does on the 3612.

Someone said they went back to v belts instead of the belt on the 3612 if they did I didn't notice and think that would be a serious mistake.

The color will go very well around halloween.

I wish I hadn't decided to hold off buying the 3612 until I saw the 3650. I doubt I will still be able to find one.
    Rev Ed

Rev Ed----where did the saying "he who hesitates is lost" come from? With all due respect, you've been going on for what---better part of a year about buying a table saw----man, you could have furnished half your house by now, if you had bought that saw 6 months ago.

I do agree with you on the 3650. Still don't understand why they couldn't have continued making the 3612 and just added some of the newer features.
    Dave

Comment

Dave
      I do have a shopsmith that has served me faithfully for nearly 20 years and a Sears radial arm saw that is even older. With these two I have built many pieces of furniture and yes even two houses.

The tablesaw was something I want but can't really justify. My biggest problem is I have a two car garage that is a two car garage so room is a premium.

I figure if it is meant to be I will find a 3612 either left over or being sold used. Until then I keep cutting on the Old SS and RAS.

Yes he who hesitates loses out.
      Ed
      Rev Ed

Comment

Fully understand----two-car garage here, with storage, benches and tools----I've been drooling over getting a lathe, but no room. Even though of selling my drill press and sanding station and getting a Shop Smith---still not enough room .

I will tell you, my table saw (an old Craftsman) can be obtained used for anywhere from $150-300---with a good aftermarket fence, you can make that saw every bit as good as the 3612----still a flicker of hope Good luck.
        Dave

Comment

Dave - you seem to be very down on Rigid tools, per posts here and woodnet. Especially this saw.
          Yet you don't own. State awaiting the next generation of tools.Fair enough.A thought tho-if you have not used, know nobody who owns, based view and opinion(s) on a display saw likely set-up by a part-time employee who around here could care less about doing it right _ sheesh. Seems pretty extreme IMHO. Do you work for Emerson?

Comment

I did check the 3650 and it still uses the belt that was on 3612. I also think the 3650 takes less room front to back than the 3612. I measured a 3650 from the front of the fence to the back of the motor at a little less than 44 inches I think the 3612 was close to 48. If you take the fence off the and measure from the front rail to the back of the motor it is real close to 39 inches again I think the 3612 was closer to 43 - 44 inches. If someone would measure a 3612 and post here I would appreciate it.
            Rev Ed

Comment

Great timing, Rev. I just measured my saw earlier this evening (what, doesn't everyone do that periodically? )

I'm making my TS2424 approximately 42" front to rear, not including any fence sticking off the front. My fence doesn't stick out the front appreciably, and might have a front rail a fraction of an inch larger than the stock rail. I would expect the TS3612 to be identical in this dimension. So, I agree with you that the TS3650 is smaller in fore/aft footprint than the TS3612.

That's good news on the poly-v belt. I had heard a comment on another forum that sounded like they might have switched to a v belt, glad they didn't.

Dave

Comment

Rookie---for a guy with one post, you sure seem to have a lot of opinions on me!

I am not in the least down on Ridgid tools----obviously you don't know how much I've recommended the 3612. But what is with people who think you have to own a saw to evaluate it???? I've been woodworking for 40 years, owned a radial arm and later a table saw for 20 of those years. I've looked at the 3650 and even got to see a 3612 once (inside joke), seen the 2424 many times and own the predicessor of the 2424. I think, I can fairly make a statement that I'd recommend the 3612 over the 3650 if a person is given a choice.
                Dave

Comment

One thing I did not mention was the stand seemed to flex. I felt around on the saw I looking at and quite a few bolts were lose. However the flex I think I detected was not from lose bolts but from the actual flex in the legs. I tried to insure the saw wasn't partially up on the casters or anything like that.

Has anyone else noticed the flex?

Also the slop in mitre rail has anyone else noticed this and can you deal with it by pimpling the rail a little?
                  Rev Ed

Comment

There's a huge thread on TS3650 table flex in the "Tips and Techniques" section called "TS3650 Setup Lessons" or something like that.

I also have a strong interest in the 3650 and have seen the torsional flex in the HD display, but I don't think it is of much concern. The stand needs to resist forces that are in line with the blade- rotation is not of much concern when cutting wood. Although it's not as sturdy as many people might like, adding a few extra braces is 10 minutes of monkey work, and this small deficiency should have very little effect on the actual operation of the saw.

As for the slop in the mitre rail, I'd hope that hammering dimples in the rail would solve the problem. If not, there's a quality control problem with the manufacturing/design of the saw.

Comment

There have been numerous posts on the Ridgid miter slot issue in the past. The Ridgid slot was cut between 0.745 - 0.752 ie. the slot was 3/4". Meaning that the mitre gauge bar had to be less than 3/4". Ridgid's gauge bar came in at 0.737 - 0.740, and fitted quite snuggly, other bars didn't fit the slot, since the bar itself was manufactured to be 3/4" or sometimes a tad wider.

I wonder if the new 3650 design has adopted the standard design of having the slot accomodate a 3/4" bar, and therefore the slot is larger by 10 thou or so. ie 0.755+.

If this is possibly the case, then have they changed the miter bar size? If not then you would have a great deal of slop, probably about 20 thou's worth!

David

Comment

Working...
                      X