X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling cracks with putty

I'm just kinda curious to those out there when that mitre or seam between two pieces of wood doesn't butt together as snug for the line and putty is needed. I used some Elmer's which I now found out doesn't stain AT ALL.

What do you all use to patch these little spaces and get them to blend in and not stand out? Thank goodness this is an outdoor project.
    Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

minwax makes a putty that claims to be stainable but i havent been impressed. what i have done is invested in a small miter gague. set the gague up to the angle to measure and cut it to that on the opposite side. this has been most effective to me.

as far as something that will accept some stain, the best i have found is durhams water putty. dries hard, easy to work with, sandable and so forth. it still does not take stain as well as the surrounding wood, but it is the least noticable. i have even mixed a little saw dust in for bigger jobs, this works really well

one thing i have yet to try is to mix it up one day with stain instead of water. i doubt it will work, but i am curious.

good luck
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Could try using a poly type glue. This glue will expand to fill small cracks. It will stain but will be a bit darker than the surrounding wood. Should be OK for an outside project.
      Rob Johnson
      Orange,CA.
      Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I have tried regular wood glue with lots of sawdust and have had fairly good success. This only works if the crack is small. If its bigger you may want to use a 2 X 4! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X