X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift ideas for son

Its been about three months since my last post - my wife gave birth to our first child in March (a boy). I knew my free time would be limited, was almost two months before I did anything woodworking related. Now that things are getting into a routine I can get back to working on the projects I have lined up. Because I cant spend as much time on woodworking these days I am starting to think about what I can make my son for his first birthday. Some ideas I have are a toy truck or a blanket chest. The toy truck would be modeled after one my friend made for his twin boys, a big rig that holds two race cars. Its fairly simply but very cool. The blanket chest would serve as a toy chest for now and then whatever he wants to use it for as he gets older. What kind of things have other built, would love to know.

Re: Gift ideas for son

My opinion,

First birthday, I would make some thing simple, a simple pull toy, or a simple car or truck

I would leave the multiple pieces for when they are little older, and can more appreciate them,

my kids and grand kids love the pull toys, there is a set of ducks I made that have a momma and three little ones, (the wheels are off bored so they waddle when moved),

made a pull dog, and the head bobs up and down when pulled,

even a simple car, basically a shape and drill some holes for windows,(make it easy to grip), and four wheels,

at that age most are not capable of enough to do to much yet, and simple is better in my opinion.

here are a few ideas IMO,

and a few links and pictures, the pictures are not mine but similar to what I have made.

http://www.whittleoly.com/heirloom-wooden-toys/
    http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl..._rfai=&start=0

what ever at that age make things tough, as they will get pounded more than pulled, they will grip them and lift them and pound them into the floor, really the more complicated toys are more for 2 and up, but keep it simple and some thing they can grip, and tough and not small parts that can be got loose or swallowed, the toys will get mouthed, so use natural non toxic finishes, (I prefer wood and mineral oil for that age) and not paint, use different woods for color, IMO,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

truly this is near a perfect toy for a little one,

It is made of maple and has a good griping area, and simple, (if one does not have the wood burning kit) just drill another hole for the front window,
      http://www.kangarooboo.com/product/d...Pull-Truck-Toy

for wheels one can buy premade wheels at a lot of wood supply places, I think Rockler carries them and many other mail order places,
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        truly this is near a perfect toy for a little one,

It is made of maple and has a good griping area, and simple, (if one does not have the wood burning kit) just drill another hole for the front window,
        http://www.kangarooboo.com/product/d...Pull-Truck-Toy

for wheels one can buy premade wheels at a lot of wood supply places, I think Rockler carries them and many other mail order places,
        Nice, this is a good choice I think. Also, use a child safe finish or none at all because as you know everything gets the "taste test" at that age.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I really like the pull toy idea, never considered that. Simple yet effective. I do want to make a toy/blanket chest but that can wait. I had a big oak tree taken down recently and may have it sliced up for woodworking purposes. By the time he is ready for that the wood will be nice and dried out for the chest. It would be very cool to make him something from a tree on the property he grew up on.

My wife has already asked for some wooden teething rings.

Great suggestions, thanks!

Comment

I don't know if this is so much a gift as it is an heirloom. Make him, and any who follow, including grandkids (yea, it's gonna happen to you too), a stool. My first daughter is now 30 and the thing that I hastily knocked together out of plywood is still doing service. Ever time one of her kids climbs aboard it I'm ashamed. JAT
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by ironhat View Post
              I don't know if this is so much a gift as it is an heirloom. Make him, and any who follow, including grandkids (yea, it's gonna happen to you too), a stool. My first daughter is now 30 and the thing that I hastily knocked together out of plywood is still doing service. Ever time one of her kids climbs aboard it I'm ashamed. JAT

Several people have told me to build a stool for the versatility. Its on my list, moreso when he is old enough to use the "potty" and to help the reach the sink. That will be fun as my wife got me the Leigh Super 18 dovetail jig this past Christmas and I will use it for that.

Comment

I recently posted somethings I make feel free to use them
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32538

Comment

Working...
                X