X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arbor odds?

In general, forgetting local store turnover, what are my odds on receiving a good arbor at the Ft Myers, Fl HD ? Put your bets on the table.

I would happen a guess that unless the saw was received in the store in the last week or two that chances are very good you will get a TS3650 with a bad arbor. Until the old stock is cleared out of the stores and whatever inventory that is stockpiled to be shipped out you are at risk of falling victim to this problem.

Since no one from Ridgid has chimed in here to let any potential buyers know what is heppening how can we assume otherwise? If they posted a serial number at which the change over was made then everyone could/would look for a later number and the older saws would sit on the shelves. They would end up having to recall them or have the field rep perform the arbor replacement on saws in the stores. I don't see much chance of that happening.

Comment

Fritz----no one knows. I'd say rather than play guessing games----I'd have the box opened before I left the store----bet you someone here could tell you which end to open first to get a good view of the arbor----(see good and bad arbor pictures floating around here). Then, if it's a good one---take it home and enjoy---if it's bad, either get another box or take it right to a Ridgid service center. Or order a Griz' or Bridgewood and solve the problem.
      Dave

Comment

I talked with a Ridgid Customer Service person last week and he told me they plan to begin installing the new arbors in the newly manufactured saws 'sometime.' He mentioned something about "...a rolling replacement" which I inferred meant some newly manufactured saws would have the new arbors and some not. It sounds as though Ridgid plans to continue installing the old arbors until their stock is depleted. Sad.

Comment

Tom W, I don't doubt for a minute that that was what the Customer Service Rep told you. I do question whether or not that Rep. knew what he/she was talking about.

I can't think of any logical reason why any company would continue to install any part on a new product that they knew they would have to pay to have replaced immediately. It just doesn't make economic sense for TTI/RIDGID to do this. The amount of money it would cost them to trash their existing supply of arbors is peanuts compared to what it's going to cost them in the long run to have all those arbors switched out.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I just bought a TS3650 about a week ago here in Mn. and I think I have the new arbor in it. I can't seem to find the pics that are supposed to be around, so I am not sure. I did check the arbor and the threads and shoulder are in a perfect plane. Does that sound like the new one? If it doesn't, can someone direct me to the pics? Thanks.

Comment

EDIT: I found the pic of the arbor, and I do NOT have the new one. Called CS and am on the mailing list for a new one. They recommend a service center, but realize the problems of getting the saw to one. So, they added that if you are capable of DIY to be aware that if you damage any other parts in the process, they are not responsible. Many thanks to all the posters that made me aware that a problem existed.

Jim

Comment

badgerdave,

I also questioned whether the CS rep knew what he was talking about. He didn't know if the Herculift would fit my Ridgid planer, he had to ask one of the other CS reps before he told me, "No." He couldn't find the part number for three bolts that were improperly threaded for the planer; I went out to my shop and looked the part number up from the owner's manual for him. (The bolts arrived about a half hour ago - pretty fast delivery service.)

Also, and this is critical, it was MY inference from the rep's statement about, '...rolling replacement' that Ridgid would continue to install the old arbors until the old stock was depleted. The rep did not define '...rolling replacement.' I have no education, training or experience within a heavy industrial manufacturing/assembly environment and 'rolling replacement' may in fact have a specific definition within that industry so it was probably wrong of me to post an inference. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Tom

Comment

My "guess" would be that it'll be a while. There are a number of factors involved, of which cost plays a significant factor. Another "guess" is that they will not take a big financial loss on existing stock, meaning they'll sell what they have until they're gone and will continue to respond to individual complaints like they have been. They've obviously done some retooling of arbors, but have had a tough time keeping up with demand....how many are available for newly manufactured saws?. Assuming new arbors are available and they're actually putting in the good ones, it can take quite a while to actually get them to the production lines and change bills of material for manufacture. Then there's the time it takes to complete production runs, get them to a port to be shipped, shipping on a slow boat from China, offloading at another port, and more distribution and warehousing.... then they'll be trucked to retail stores where you'll see them...assuming they've sold out of the old stock. I think my scenario of events is roughly accurate....how long will that take?

Comment

I stopped in at Home Depot today and talked to the store manager (and 2 other people) and they seemed as if this was the first they'd heard anything about this problem. I did learn that they have two more units scheduled to come in on the 22nd and he said I could check them to see if they have the new arbor or not. If I do return the one I purchased last week he said they would be sending it back to Ridgid to get the arbor replaced. Knowing that, I think I'll open up every stinking box they have there looking for a good one to maybe force the issue on Ridgid to resolve this "field update" themselves instead of pushing their responsibility off onto their "paying" customers. Now if someone could do this in EVERY store we might start getting "correct" units off the shelves sooner...

I'll let y'all know what I find out in their inventory. Meanwhile, I've got a brand new saw still sitting unassembled that I can't use. I'm either waiting on the "2 week(?)" waiting list to get a new arbor shipped out, or waiting on a new unit to come into HD on the 22nd. Either way, I can't see wasting the time to assemble this thing because since I won't be doing the upgrade myself, I'd just end up breaking it down again to return to HD or the service center. And if I have to wait any longer than that I'll go out and purchase the Hitachi C10FL from Lowe's for $499.

By the way, I called the closest service center to me and they didn't even know anything about an arbor problem with this saw. In fact, they had never even gotten a TS3650 in for service. Ever! Maybe that's really good news as far as longevity for this saw goes, but bad news regarding the arbor issue. If the service centers don't even know what is going on here there may be no hope of getting a corrected one out of there either...

~Spunky
                    ~~Spunky-Monkey~~ <br /> [i]...just monkeyin\' around with wood.[-i]

Comment

I'm not a "homer" for the 3650 by any means, but that new Hitachi TS sucks IMO....big step down from several others in that price range. It's got a really crappy fence and weak sheet metal wings.

Comment

By the way, I called the closest service center to me and they didn't even know anything about an arbor problem with this saw.
                        Guess you can't hear it through the Grapevine (TX) anymore.

Oh, why did I have to say that??

Comment

It will be nice to hear from someone who buys the saw and gets the new arbor. Thanks for all of the post updates. Fritz Sanibel,FL

Comment

Daveferg may be right about the cost effectiveness of replacing the 3650 arbor, but no one is sure what Ridgid's game plan is. He's guessing just like everyone else who supposes this-or supposes that. Ridgid's silence on this is disturbing, and has been for months. For Ridgid to clam up, and not even comment even comment on their own forum, letting people absurdly advise others to open up TS3560 boxes in HD to see if it's a good one or a bad one, is unconscionable. This is a Kmart mentality - just plain bad business. The best advice I've read is to forget about the saw and look elsewhere.

Comment

Sorry. I got my Dave's crossed. I meant Badger Dave. In any case, it is daunting for people considering the Ridgid TS to have read about this problem for months without a peep from Ridgid on their own forum, and to be faced with either opening up boxes in HD, replacing an arbor themselves, returning the saw to the company, carting it off to a service center, or waiting for some unclear time when all the arbors have been replaced. Geez, fellas! Isn't avoiding all that worth the extra money it would take to buy a saw that doesn't have a history of problems out of the box?

I challenge Ridgid to explain it all to us on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X