X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave 3612 Fence Locked?

Do I harm anything by leaving the fence on TS3612 locked?

TIA, Curt

Good question Curt, I've wondered the same thing myself. I would think that by leaving the fence locked down you would minimize the chance of the lever getting damaged. However, I leave mine unlocked. My reasoning is that by leaving it unlocked I'm putting less stress on the lock down mechanism which will increase the life and overall efficency of the mechanism. I have no idea if that's correct or not but thats what I do.

[ 01-26-2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good question----Haven't seen any diagram of the construction---would say, if there were any compressed springs, I'd leave it unlocked. If it's just a cam lever type of thing, probably doesn't matter. On the handle issue, it's pretty easy to strike it while you're doing other things in the shop or garage and it's been a weak link for a while---(two display models of even the older ts tended to have broken handles. You might want to build yourself a little cover out of scrap, that could fit over the end of the fence and protect the handle----just make it so the two sides are just a snug fit over the end of the fence.
      Dave

Comment

I leave the fence to my 3612 parked on the side of the legs in holders built for it. Keeps it out of the way when it isn't being used.

Comment

I tend to leave the fence on the saw if I expect to use it the nexr day, otherwise it sits down in the cradle. I have enough paranoia in my life without having to worry about leaving the fence locked. However, leaving the fence up on the table helps prevent piling stuff on it.

Remember that just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't after you.

Comment

People take the fence off of the saw? I think I've removed the fence from my saw at Most twice. the rest of the time it sits way out on the right side of the rails if I'm using either my mitre guage or crosscut sled. My splitter and blade guard wind up on the brackets when not in use.

Ned<br /><br />Madison Woodsmith<br /><br />Masonry: 2B1ASK1

Comment

The saw provides a storage location for the fence. Use it ANYTIME the fence is not in use. Depending on the setting you have set on the grip of the fence to the rails, it can indent the rails over time. The nylon pieces grabing the rails can also be damaged. The handle is on a camber, and the plastic camber can be flattened if left locked over time. If you lock the fence on say, a 3612, between the wing and support rod between the rails, it can warp the rails. Or beyond the support rod.

If I know I need to make a repeated cut, I'll leave the fence locked into place while in the shop. It gets reset the next day if needed. It's your investment, treat it as you will. This is just my observations and opinions.

Most of you know I have a dual fence set up on my 2424. The fence right of the blade has Heavy clamping presure. The fence on the right is much lighter, but enough to sustain it position. This is because I cut alot of sheet goods, and I cut to size based on right of the blade. If a sheet is awkward, it will push the right side fence, retaining the correct sized cut. I also feed with heavy presure to the right fence so if the sheet narrows, I still retain the correct size cut.

I'm right handed, so this keeps me just left of the blade with presure to the right fence, and out of the way of any misfortunate occurances that can happen.

John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
              X