Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mitre saw or table saw for hardwood floor? or both?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mitre saw or table saw for hardwood floor? or both?

I'm going to install some hardwood floors for the first time. do I need mitre saw or table saw or both? I have very little clue about that.

Re: mitre saw or table saw for hardwood floor? or both?

I used a miter saw for all straight cuts and a jig saw for any curve or obstruction cuts. Table saw will also work great but won't be as portable. FYI: i know you stated hardwood flooring which i prefer, keep in mind that laminate type flooring are tough on blades and since most straight cuts will be ends I did not use my best blades

Comment

Miter saw would probably be the best tool for all the crosscut work that is required. However, there will be a point as you fit those final pieces against the wall or baseboard, where you will probably need to do some ripping... obviously, you can't do that with a miter saw.

But that said, I think that the miter saw would be preferable over a table saw for doing the many crosscuts that are required.... hence, my answer would be BOTH would be nice.

CWS

Comment

I explored other possibilities:

When I ripped out my carpet and replaced it with hardwood, my tool of choice for that job was the Bandsaw. It crosscuts, rips, miters, bevels and even cope cuts (with the right bade). When ripping the last plank that runs alongside the wall, sometimes the cut must be tapered. I consider the bandsaw the safest tool for cutting tapers, either with a sled or feed the stock freehand.

Inexpensive blades will leave their mark on the wood, but these cuts will be hidden behind trim. Drawback to crosscuts is that my Bandsaw can only take off 14" at a time.

I have a DeWalt Jobsite Mitersaw and Tablesaw but those two tools are so laud, I am reluctant to use them.

Are you planning on purchasing the tools needed to get this job done?

Comment

Take a look at this tool. It's still pretty new. I was in Lowes last week and looked for it, no go. Asked the tool crib associate and he had not even heard of it. But they are available from Amazon. I'd like to see it first hand before ordering though. I plan on some putting down some flooring in the near future and this looks like it might fit the bill, but as I said I'd like a hands on test drive first.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32040
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I prefer my TS for most of my cuts when possible because it's more accurate, but a miter saw would work pretty well for crosscutting flooring if the boards are long. If you're going to buy a saw for this, and the boards aren't too long, I'd lean toward putting my money into a TS because it's more versatile overall.

Comment

The Skil Flooring Saw works great. Has just a little more application than the H.D. model. However, I want one from Ridgid. When are they going to make this innovative tool for craftsman?

Comment

The miter saw is much better at a cross cut, but just can't do a rip cut. The TS is good at a rip; and can do a cross cut (but you need to make sure you adequately support the work and cross cutting a long piece is going to be hard). I would go with the TS. Most of us could cut a piece of flooring with a hand saw (at least to get it close enough so that it is more manageable on the TS. I know old school carpenters could rip stuff by hand, but I know I couldn't get decent results.

Comment

A radial arm saw can crosscut AND rip.

Still can't find the Skil flooring saw in Lowes, I asked again. I don't want one I just want to eyeball it and see what the quality level is. I see that Ryobi has one now, which I guess will be available through HD, but have not seen hide nor hair of that version either.

Its what the software industry calls vaporware....exists only on paper.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    A radial arm saw can crosscut AND rip.

Still can't find the Skil flooring saw in Lowes, I asked again. I don't want one I just want to eyeball it and see what the quality level is. I see that Ryobi has one now, which I guess will be available through HD, but have not seen hide nor hair of that version either.

Its what the software industry calls vaporware....exists only on paper.
                    Bob, odd that stores in your area don't have the saw. Although I have not yet looked at the saw, all Lowes here in Central Texas show to have at least 1 (to as many as 4) of the units in stock.

Comment

I actually saw the Ryobi at the Home Depot in the Corning, NY area. It was still in the box though! From what I've read on the Ryobi website, it looks like a pretty decent solution. Not sure what the price is though.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by mechth View Post
                        I'm going to install some hardwood floors for the first time. do I need mitre saw or table saw or both? I have very little clue about that.
                        I needed both when I did mine but table saw use was quite limited, sliding mitre was awesome for this job.
                        Free woodworking plans

Comment

Working...
                        X