Retrofit for Craftsman table saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit for Craftsman table saw?

I have a 12 year old Craftsman table saw, model 113.298720 that I am considering retrofitting with the following components:

Rigid retro fence,
    Herculift system,
    metal hand wheels
    new pulleys and belt.

I figure that this will cost me around $300.00. Since this is about half the price of a new Rigid, is it worth doing? What other features does a new Rigid have that my old saw wouldn't?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    People always ask: Who is Bigboss? He is my dad. Even though I am 40 years old, he is without a doubt STILL the big boss.........

Littleboss,
    I looked at buying a similar Craftsman saw from a relative of mine that was used quite a bit. He mentioned the saw would need a little fixing up and upgrades. After researching fixing it up and all the different saws on the market I felt a new Ridgid TS2424LS was the way to go. The upgrades probably could be done for near $300.00 dollars but spending an additional $275.00 to $300.00 to have a new motor, and bearings through out and who knows what ever else could go wrong. You would still have a 12 year old saw. Some times retro fits aren’t exactly a perfect match either. Found that out first hand. It is also hard to beat the fine warranty that is offered buy the folks at Ridgid. That was a big selling point for me. I have bought many old items and made them to be new again but as far as the position you are in I would go for the new one. Besides just buying a new saw Ridgid has done a fine job of providing us with this wonderful space to share our news and views. That is worth a lot...
    Well thanks for listing to my opinion. Like my dad always said, opinions are like that thing you wear on your backside, everybody has one... I may have two... Take care and good luck with your decision.
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Working...
    X