X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4510- Poor cross cuts

Just purchased a new R4510 from Home Depot. After unpacking I checked all adjustments, and found them to be very close. The problem arose when I tried to cuat a 2 x 4 and noticed it left a poor cut. Went back and checked and tweeked all adjustments. Even installed 2 other blades, and no change. Whats happening, is after you make the cut, and put a square to the edge, you can see gaps in the cut in only 3.5 inches. Thes are not huge, but I am at a loss a to what is out of alignment. Miter slots appearto be true, as is heel of saw itself. Am I expecting to much out of this saw, or should I exchange it

Re: R4510- Poor cross cuts

How are you checking blade parallelism?

What kind of blades are you using?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was using the blade that came with saw (60 tooth combination) but also used 108 tooth Freud finish blade and a Dewalt combination blade. They cut square, but when you hold the edge up to a light with a square, you can see little valleys in the cut. Maybe only 16th 32nd but noticeable. What is odd is the cut itself is very smooth. I was checking alignment using combinatin square. I know a dial indicator would probably be more accurate, but this is what I set up other saws with. Thought maybe the blade was not treu, but all 3 couldn't be off. Arbor shaft appears to not have any play, but hard to check without better measuring tools. I am stumped as the other 2 blades always cut square and smooth, until I put on this saw. Thanks.

Comment

Are you using a miter gauge when making the cut? If so, I'd check it to make sure that it's set at 90°, don't believe the marking on the gauge either if it's the one that came with the saw.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I can get it to cut @ 90 degrees, its just leaves very slight hills and valleys on the edge of the board. It is only noticeable when you put a straight edge on the end of the board. I have never seen anything like it. It's hard to explain because the cut itself is smooth to the touch, but uneven when you put a straight edge to it.
          Thanks

Comment

If the blades u are using are true then it sounds to me like the arbor shaft is bent this would indeed create the hills and valleys in the cut. The bent arbor shaft would make the blade wobble. U would need to use a micrometer to check it for sure but if its a new saw i would go back to HD and get a replacement.

Bill

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I have to agree, as 3 different blades all had the same effect.I am going to look for a dial indicator tomorrow to be sure, but I am afraid this saw may have to go back. (ThankGod for the 90 day return policy) If i can get an indicator tomorrow, I think i should be able to see if arbor is out of whack. You almost have to see this to believe it. perfect 90 degrees with a slight hollow in the middle. I'am starting to wonder if this saw was a good choice, but I don't have room for a nice cabinet saw. I will let you know the results.

Comment

Was the deviation that you described in the cut the same for all 3 blades?

Comment

Yes, the same on all 3. Last night I was able to get hold of a dial indicator, and it turns out, there is a slight bend in arbor. Back to the store. See what the next one looks like.

Comment

Working...
                  X