Cutting Pre-Finished Stair Winders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Pre-Finished Stair Winders

I am about to install pre-finished stair winders (3 kite style) on a set of stairs in my condo that used to be carpeted. All prep work is done and they are being glued and nailed to the plywood winders that are already there. The old winders are mortised into the stringers and these new winders are simply covering the old plywood. They are 1 1/8" thick red oak, and I really need to make clean, accurate cuts. Was thinking of building some kind of jig and/or sled for my table saw. Am I on the right track? Any thoughts or better ideas?

Re: Cutting Pre-Finished Stair Winders

Being that you are from Canada, you may use different terms than we do here in the states. By winders, are you referring to what we call treads? If so, One bit of warning I will give is that if you add 1 1/8" to your existing steps, the bottom rise will grow by that amount and the top one will shrink by that much. A very dangerous situation for anyone that does not know it. Also for those that do.

Comment

Nope. No difference in terminology. I have included this link (http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/stair-winders.html) to a good diagram of the "Kite Winders" I am referring to. The replacement treads are designed and milled to go over existing treads where carpet used to be; that is, they are fairly thin and do not add significant height. The existing plywood winders are much thinner than the treads, making the overall height the same as all the treads. My bigger concern is still how to cut those winders. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

OK, now I follow what you are saying. I'm from the old school, so I would use a 12 point hand saw, but I know modern day craftsmen always go for power. I will let them suggest what they would do.
        Jim

Comment

I install hardwood stairs for a living. My preference when cutting any tread is to use a good 80 tooth blade on a sliding miter saw. If that is unavailable to you I would suggest scribing your cut line with a sharp knife this will prevent any tear out. and use a standard mitre saw just reversing the tread to finish the cut as the cut at this time is not critical. Still using a miter saw if one is available to you and cut your tread about 1/8" proud of your mark allowing for a final fit. Scribe your tread to fit your carriage (stringer) and use a belt sander to take down the remaining stock following your scribe line ensuring a perfect fit to your carriage. Hope this help.

Bill
          Last edited by NailBanger; 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM.

Comment

As previously stated, your first and last riser heights will match the rest of the risers, but will be greater or less than a standard riser height by 1-1/8".

This will not meet code which I believe calls for a max deviation of .375" between risers.

This will not be a problem until you go to sell the house or someone gets injured because they misjudged a step and fell...that is if they are still alive to sue.

In the IBC its 1009.3.2 Dimensional Uniformity
            Last edited by Bob D.; 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
              Being that you are from Canada, you may use different terms than we do here in the states. By winders, are you referring to what we call treads? If so, One bit of warning I will give is that if you add 1 1/8" to your existing steps, the bottom rise will grow by that amount and the top one will shrink by that much. A very dangerous situation for anyone that does not know it. Also for those that do.
              i do stairs for living , in this case get some door skin, cut it to 2 1/2 strips, and with a hot glue gun make a template, i do this kind a templates for granite tops (i make granite to) you should try it!!
              Last edited by valdezpablo; 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X