X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid or Grizzly Jointer?

I need a jointer. Since I've had such great success with my Ridgid TS2400 table saw, I'm thinking of getting the Ridgid JP0610. I'm comparing it to the Grizzly G0526 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0526).

Both are 6" machines, but the Grizzly has a spiral cutterhead. The big differences are as follows:

-- Price (Ridgid=$400, Grizzly=$1,000)
    -- Access (Ridgid is at Home Depot, Grizzly is mail order)
    -- Ease of blade changes (spiral cutterhead is easier)
    -- Cut quality (spiral cutterhead is supposed to be better).

I don't know much about jointers, and I would like to avoid complications with the knives, if possible. That's the main appeal of the Grizzly.

It would also be nice to get a better finish with the spiral cutterhead. But the Grizzly is $600 more, and I have to risk mail order!

So, here's what I'm thinking...if the knives in the Ridgid are not difficult to change, I would rather just get the Ridgid.

Can anyone tell me, honestly, how difficult it is to change/adjust the knives in the Ridgid jointer?

Can anyone summarize the idea of springs versus jack screws?

Thanks everyone!

The Grizz is more becouse of the spiral head cutter, they make the same jointer with standard blade cutters and its much cheeper. May be a more fair comparison for you.
    I have the G0444Z and love it. Great CS and great quality products.

Steve

Comment

If I were going to spend $1k on a jointer, I'd take the jump to an 8" traditional machine. I think you'll get more mileage out of the extra width capacity than the spiral head cutter.....but that's just an opinion.

Both companies have nice jointer BTW.

Comment

I have a delta 6" that has pretty much the same jack screw system as the Ridgid. I found it to be a major PITA to get the knives perfect (yes I am anal about setting knives) I have spent hours fiddling with each knife until I got a Jointer Pal, now I doubt I spend more than 5 minutes setting the knives and they are perfect every time
        One source for Jointer Pal so you can see what it looks like

Comment

I have a delta 6" that has pretty much the same jack screw system as the Ridgid. I found it to be a major PITA to get the knives perfect (yes I am anal about setting knives) I have spent hours fiddling with each knife until I got a Jointer Pal, now I doubt I spend more than 5 minutes setting the knives and they are perfect every time
          It sounds like you and I have the same attitude on setting equipment to be "perfect." I've heard of the Jointer Pal, but these days I can't tell what is just good marketing and what really works. So, it's good to hear from someone who actually uses it! Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I don't have room for an 8" machine in my shop. Also, the majority of the time, I work with pieces under 6" and do glue-ups for wide panels.

If the spiral cutterhead really made a much better cut, I might still consider it. But that extra $600 makes me hesitate. I could but lots of other tools with that extra money!

I'd love to hear from other people who have used the Jointer Pal with the Ridgid jointer.

Comment

I’ll second the recommendation for the Jointer Pal, but I only paid about $35 at Woodcraft during a sale around a year ago.

Woodslayer

Comment

wbrooks,

Which model do you have? The polycarbonate model W1210 for HSS knives is only $22.50 CAN at Busy Bee. Anyone have experience with this model?

Comment

I have the one that will set carbide knives and is made of brass. More expensive but if I ever decide to switch to carbide than I can still use this one. Also since it can be used with carbide the magnets are much stronger

Comment

MSchenker,

I have the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer and have been very pleased with it. Dead on right out of the box, ease of use, sturdy. Haven't had to change the blades out yet, but it seems pretty straight forward. It is $349 as of today.

IMHO, if I were going to spend more money, I would upgrade to an 8" jointer. Money well spent for more flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Swede

Comment

Originally posted by swede:
                    MSchenker,

I have the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer and have been very pleased with it. Dead on right out of the box, ease of use, sturdy. Haven't had to change the blades out yet, but it seems pretty straight forward. It is $349 as of today.

Actually they raised the price to $397 today.
                    Gary

Comment

Another spaceblue stupid question. What is the difference between a spiral cutter and the jack screws. I could swear that i read somewhere that the jack screw set ups are the best and the easiest to set up. Apparently I am wrong?
                      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Another spaceblue stupid question. What is the difference between a spiral cutter and the jack screws. I could swear that i read somewhere that the jack screw set ups are the best and the easiest to set up. Apparently I am wrong?
                        Not a stupid question at all! Until a few months ago, I wouldn't have known what this means either.

We are talking about two completely different kinds of cutterheads and blades. Spiral cutter heads accept a series of small square blades set into "indexes" that hold them in place. Jack-screws have recesses that accept long blades whose height has to be set manually. The spiral design is much easier to set the blades, as there is no need for height adjustments. Spiral cutters also produce a nice cut. But spiral cutters are a lot more money!

Here are two photos of the different types of cutters:

Spiral cutterhead from Grizzly:

Jack screw from Grizzly:

Comment

Not a stupid question at all! Until a few months ago, I wouldn't have known what this means either.

We are talking about two completely different kinds of cutterheads and blades. Spiral cutter heads accept a series of small square blades set into "indexes" that hold them in place. Jack-screws have recesses that accept long blades whose height has to be set manually. The spiral design is much easier to set the blades, as there is no need for height adjustments. Spiral cutters also produce a nice cut. But spiral cutters are a lot more money!

Here are two photos of the different types of cutters:

Spiral cutterhead from Grizzly:
                          http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...=images&num=2&

Jack screw from Grizzly:
                          http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...=images&num=4&

Comment

Originally posted by macpiano:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by swede:
                            MSchenker,
                            ...It is $349 as of today.

Actually they raised the price to $397 today.
                            Gary
                            </font>[/QUOTE]Gary,
                            Are you sure? The web site is still showing $349.

Comment

Working...
                            X