X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions needed on a dead R4511 saw

Due to an odd set of circumstances, I've got a dead R4511 saw that likely isn't economical to repair.

The main cast iron trunnion is badly cracked and the cost of replacement is several hundred dollars.

I'm looking for suggestions for re-provisioning the base unit into something useful.

For example, it seems to me that the base and granite top, fence, etc. would make a great router table.

Or, possible as an art nouveau table base with a large butcher block top.

Or, if any of you happen to have a spare trunnion laying around in your garage....

Re: Suggestions needed on a dead R4511 saw

Didn't you or the previous owner get the Lifetime Service Agreement?????

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
      Didn't you or the previous owner get the Lifetime Service Agreement?????
      Yes, I did. I'm the original owner.

I'm pretty sure this would not be a warranty issue, as it was not a product defect. It took a good 'whack', looks like it fell off a fork lift in shipping. I didn't discover that until I had the saw home. It's (the trunnion) quite broken. I think everything else is intact, but I wouldn't be able to tell until replacing the trunnion, and seeing if there are alignment issues with other parts.

The store tried to get a replacement saw to swap out for months, with no success. Eventually they gave up and refunded my money, and I was told to 'keep the carcass'.

As you can see, it is not a problem with the quality of the saw, merely shipping and packaging. I can't see how Ridgid would possibly see their way clear to warranty those parts, since they did not cause the problem. I haven't tried the warranty, since it didn't seem fair to stick Ridgid with a problem not of their making. I could do the work to replace the trunnion, but it is quite expensive through the parts depot. I'm not sure I want to purchase a trunnion in the hopes that there won't be any additional alignment problems.

It's too bad, since I really wanted the saw.

Comment

So, if I understand you correctly.... you purchased this saw, but it was damaged in shipping; Home Depot could NOT find a new one for you and they couldn't (or wouldn't) find you a new trunion.

Therefore, they totally refunded your money and told you to just keep the saw? Wow!!!

About the most economical use for the beast is to perhaps "part it out"... surely there will be a few people who might want some of the parts.

Still, you might inquire with Ridgid Customer Support to see if they have any suggestions.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          So, if I understand you correctly.... you purchased this saw, but it was damaged in shipping; Home Depot could NOT find a new one for you and they couldn't (or wouldn't) find you a new trunion.

Therefore, they totally refunded your money and told you to just keep the saw? Wow!!!

About the most economical use for the beast is to perhaps "part it out"... surely there will be a few people who might want some of the parts.

Still, you might inquire with Ridgid Customer Support to see if they have any suggestions.

CWS
          Well, that's a vastly simplified version of what happened, but yes, in essence that's what happened. The HD I dealt with actually tried very, very hard to make it right, including attempting to special order one for me. There were just no more to be had. The manager tried for several months, and then cried uncle, and cheerfully refunded my money. He gets extra points for trying so long. I have no complaints with HD's service.

Parting out may be a final option, but I'd prefer to either do something useful with it or fix it. I know I can purchase the parts new, but it is an expensive option, and I don't know what else I might find wrong after replacing the trunnion.

Comment

Squibload,

BTW, welcome to the forum

I the damage/breakage of the trunnion so bad that it can't be welded? I realize it's probably cast iron, but there are some welders that can tackle that sort of think, providing the break is clean and you're not missing any pieces.... just a thought.

Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure what you can do... perhaps add a router accessory table to it and use it exclusively for that purpose? If the granite is in good shape and machined flat, as it should be, it might make for a good measuring or assembly table fo smaller projects.

Bottom line is that I can only imagine how frustrated you must be to come that close to having this model, and finding it broken. I'm not so sure I'd want it around to remind me of how close I came to having such a great saw; but hopefully someone will offer you some good advice on it's use, as it is.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

I was also wondering about having it welded....I've read of others have trunnion parts welded before.

Also, you might consider parts from a Steel City 35920 or 35930, Craftsman 22116, or the newer Duracraft saws....same guts.

Otherwise parting it out seems reasonable....between the refund and the parts value, you should be well on your way to a decent saw. The fence, motor, wings, miter gauge, switch, Herculift, etc., all have some value.

Comment

Thanks, those are some good suggestions.

I think it is broken too much for welding, but I'll run it by my welder once I get it completely disassembled.

I'm beginning to think parting it out might be the only reasonable thing to do. It just offends my sensibilities, since I think it should be usable for something, or repaired and used as it was intended.

An assembly table/workbench might be a useful. With T-tracks and a fence, there would be lots of hold down points and reference edges. And possibly a router cutout in the center in place of the throat plate..

I'll keep pondering this. Maybe another broken saw will appear at a service center, and I can marry them together.. I've got a few calls in to our local service center.

Comment

About two years ago I bought the Ridgid Miter saw SUV stand from Home Depot. It was an open box (ie: used and returned) so I got a good deal on it.

When I got it home, I noticed that several of the metal support structure pieces were bent and the unit wouldn't work correctly. I called Ridgid Customer service and they didn't hesitate to send the replacement pieces out, no questions asked.

The broken pieces were certainly not a product defect -- it is a similar circumstance to yours so I don't see why they wouldn't send the part to you.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by airChris View Post
                    About two years ago I bought the Ridgid Miter saw SUV stand from Home Depot. It was an open box (ie: used and returned) so I got a good deal on it.

When I got it home, I noticed that several of the metal support structure pieces were bent and the unit wouldn't work correctly. I called Ridgid Customer service and they didn't hesitate to send the replacement pieces out, no questions asked.

The broken pieces were certainly not a product defect -- it is a similar circumstance to yours so I don't see why they wouldn't send the part to you.

Chris
                    That's a bit naughty, if he's already been refunded.

How about hold on to it as a table, until someone comes up with an out-of warranty R4511 with a motor or main table that are toast? Grab the trunnion out of that and you are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                      That's a bit naughty, if he's already been refunded.

How about hold on to it as a table, until someone comes up with an out-of warranty R4511 with a motor or main table that are toast? Grab the trunnion out of that and you are good.
                      I agree. I've already been well taken care of by HD.

I'm not trying to get something for nothing, just find a reasonable use for the saw. I'd even buy the trunnion at full price if I could determine that there are not other problems with alignment that will plague me for years to come. A mis-aligned tool is a dangerous tool, and since I'm a musician, I really, really want to keep my hands complete with all digits firmly attached. Also, I'll be using this for guitar building, and I wouldn't even be able to test my own products if I start leaving body parts lying around the shop.

As it stands, I'd certainly be money ahead if I just parted it out, since it would likely bring pretty good money for the bits. It just seems wrong somehow to dis-member a brand new saw.

If I can find an out of warranty saw, I'd do just that. It might be a few years before one pops up, though.

Comment

Maybe try calling Sears parts direct, oddly the trunnion for the 22116 was missing from the ordering website, but I've found that on unusual items they're sometimes significantly cheaper than ridgid.

Comment

It sounds like the manage tried, but, maybe not good enough. I saw 3 of these saws about a week ago in the Milford Ohio HD. I thought they were sold out locally, but, they had a display of 3 sitting right up front by the door when I walked in.

I actually live about 40-50 miles away, and 2-3 other HDs closer to me have been sold out for 6 weeks. There was a batch of deliveries in our area in April. First I've seen since the early winter clearance.

Comment

Working...
                          X