X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to avoid Saw Dust spray - Please advice

My 3612 is kicking up (about 5%)saw dust to the on top & front of the TS. For some reason I am certain this is not the way this beast is suppose to behave.

What do you think is the problem? How do i fix it?

Please help.

Good Mornin Weekender;

not sure exactly where your sawdust is comin from by your description. I assume your getting whats known as "rooster tail" ??

if the sawdust is coming from the rear of the blade shootin up as you cut, then your trunion needs adjusting. Simple to fix.

Hope that helps
    Ralph
    <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

If you don't have your saw hooked up to some form of DC then there's not much you can do about the sawdust at the front of the machine. Doing what Ralph said will greatly reduce the sawdust on the top of the saw and a zero clearance insert will also help.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good replies so far. The gullets of the blade carry saw dust out of the cut and some reaching the saw surface is not unusual. Most after market systems have some sort of dust collection mounted over the blade in conjunction with the blade guard. Are you using your guard? If you are getting sprayed I have to beleive you aren't. Take it from me the guard is your friend. Zero clearance inserts with a splitter at least should be on you saw.

Comment

When you align your fence be sure the rear of the blade is not closer to the fence than the front. Some people try to get them exactly parallel. Others want it to be .002 wider (fence to blade) on the back. If it is closer on the back it can create a rooster tail. This caused by the blade cutting on the up stroke. This is not good and will cause kick back along with the dust.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Based on your remarks, I believe what I am experiencing is rooster tail. The saw dust is being sprayed by the blade on to the front of the TS. I am ripping a foot long board. I have my guard on. Not using zero clearance. I will check my alignment again. I also don't have a DC on.

As you all felt some saw dust without DC and Zero clearance on - is to be expected. I feel it is more than normal amount. My cuts (even with guard on)are actually causing a saw dust spray on my shirt in the tummy area

I will try aligning blade and fence first and see what it does. My combination square is wrecked. I have to wait for tomorrow to buy a new one.

Thanks for quick replies.

Comment

you may want to pick up a cheep dial gauge while you are at it. Even a cheep one is more acurate than feeler guages

Comment

Ok. Finally got a chance to check the alignment.
                The squareness was definitely off. I fixed it. I also noticed I hadn't tightened the tiltlock. With these two fixes - the spray is gone. Although I am happy with the result, I am equally surprised. Does it mean any bevel cut results in a rooster tail?

The parallelism is within limits. But my rear end of blade is just a tad nearer (I can hardly sneak one sheet of paper) to fence than the front. I haven't adjusted this yet. I am still not using DC and Zero insert.

Comment

Quote....Weekender... "But my rear end of blade is just a tad nearer (I can hardly sneak one sheet of paper) to fence than the front.) end quote

If possible I would prefer that the rear of the blade be exactly the same distance as the front.....or.....one sheet of paper further away, not closer. Hope that clears it up for ya [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X